camcorder advice, PC connection etc

Roy* 14:57 16 Jun 2008

I'm looking into low cost simple camcorders for my daughter considering Canon MD216 or MD205. Phoned Jessops and the chap there didn’t know the difference, done a bit of searching around on the internet but nothing obvious, except one says stereo for the 216?

So can anyone advise on the difference? Sorry more of a Whatcamera? Question but I know you guys cross over and have multi media views.

…and then here’s the PC question:

I asked how to connect to PC, he told me it has a Firewire Out (IEEE 1394) port, I take it that one of those unused ports on my home pc is a firewire in, the ones we use for networking at work? Will a standard firewire (i.Link) do the job or will I need something specific?

jack 15:22 16 Jun 2008

That will do it - the assumption is if its got the ports its got the works to go with it.
The Mother board hand book [got one] will confirm it or a Google to the MoBo site or download
click here
and run it it will give you thew lowdown on what the machine has.
If all else fails a Firewire PCI card is about £15/20 or so.

Roy* 16:00 16 Jun 2008

Anyone got any camcorder advice?

Woolwell 20:36 16 Jun 2008

Interestingly the Canon UK site doesn't list the 216 under their products.

Suggest you search the web for reviews of the products.

You may or may not have a firewire port. It is not a networking port that is ethernet by cable. The camera may not come with a firewire cable and you will need to check that the connection at one end fits your camera as there are different sizes.

Joe R 22:24 16 Jun 2008

Roy*

Review of MD216 here. click here and MD205 here. click here

Roy* 08:32 17 Jun 2008

I've checked the home pc and I do have a firewire in plug. I decided to go for a Canon MD235 in the end due to it's higher resolution (more pixel).

So just got to source the firewire cable and get some blank tapes..........

Joe R 17:00 17 Jun 2008

Roy*

the camera should come with a firewire connector.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?