Buying without an O/S

-pops- 14:40 21 Jul 2003

There are a couple of threads at the moment concerned with "recovery disks" and other euphemisms that try to fob you off without a proper version of the operating system.

So, has anyone tried recently to buy a machine with no operating system so that you can install your own? Did you succeed?

There are a number of reasons why you may not want or need a computer with Windows in it.

Out of curiosity, a few years ago, I phoned around the suppliers to ask about this. The general reaction at the time was that they thought I was mad as they couldn't understand how the machine would work without an O/S. If I explained that I was installing my own and that I wanted a discount, no discount was forthcoming - with or without an O/S the price was the same.

I am wondering if the situation has changed.

Brian

Sir Radfordin 14:47 21 Jul 2003

Microsoft get very annoyed with suppliers that take this approach as they know its often going to be a PC sold that may end up running a rival product.

That unfortunatly is the kind of dominance that M$ have on the market. Some of the smaller companies would be happy to provide such a PC.

dth 14:53 21 Jul 2003

I ordered my last p/c (from Watfords Savastore) last year without an o/s and had no problems at all.

rep 15:07 21 Jul 2003

I believe many of the major brands are 'coerced' into providing OEM copies of MS operating systems and hence the reluctance to supply without it installed.
I did manage to buy my 1st PC without an OS back in 1998 but from a small independant retailer and received a £60 or so discount.
One thing all users should be aware of - OEM licencing - essentially it means the copy of the software is only valid for the PC it was purchased with, which negates the need for providing a CD copy from the suppliers point of view and also 'discourages' piracy from the MS viewpoint.

davidg_richmond 16:25 21 Jul 2003

I recently had to refund a laptop (WinXP re-installed) for a customer as they had bought it to run some very rare software on it. This software required a Linux installation, and when the software apparently couldn't create it's Linux installation he came back for a refund.

So I suppose if a PC is sold without an OS the retailer could find themselves having problems if a user tries to get support for their hardware when a non-MS OS is installed.

leo49 17:41 21 Jul 2003

Poweroid will do this which is the main reason they're current favourites to supply my new machine.

-pops- 18:45 21 Jul 2003

Thanks for the feedback.

On the machines I made I would always offer them without and O/S or with an O/S of choice (so long as it was Windows, I'm not familiar with others). Obviously, I was far from being a commercial supplier but I did sell two without any O/S at all, the reason being the buyer couldn't find a commercial assembler who would supply without at a lower price.

Sir R. Sounds just like M$! They might reflect occasionally that the PC was here before they were. The PC is more than just a convenience for them to stick their software in.

rep: I don't think the problem is with OEM versions of Windows (I use that in my machines). It is more the so-called recovery disks which do not fulfill any function other than get a machine going again by sorting out hidden this that and the others on a hard drive. The problem with the OEM software being only for one machine applies to all grades of WXP where the activation process is supposed to ensure this.

I will bear in mind the non-O/S suppliers for my future machines in case I become too decrepit to assemble my next one!!

I will close this now.

Thanks again.

Brian

wee eddie 00:24 22 Jul 2003

I seem to remember that a high proportion of the returned stock is sold without O/S

TechMad 09:31 22 Jul 2003

Novatech offer all its PCs and Notebooks without an operating system. One can be added for extra money.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone