BUYING FROM USA

BREEN 23:01 18 Dec 2003

I want to purchase some soft ware from Amazon in the USA .Any one advise me of any problems. The prices are cheaper then UK prices.What is the draw back?????

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:03 19 Dec 2003

Customs duties and any problems that may occur. I have found that it is rarely cheaper to buy from the States.

G

Forum Editor 00:53 19 Dec 2003

Millions of people (including me) buy downloads from American sites, and there are few problems. If you buy boxed software however - and that's what you mean - you're going to end up paying import duty and VAT, and that will not make your saving look so rosy.

My advice: Download with impunity, but don't bother with boxed software, get that from Amazon in the UK.

Belatucadrus 01:54 19 Dec 2003

I've purchased books and DVDs from Amazon.com with no problems, but every time I've tried to buy PC kit from them, when I confirm the order I've always received a very politely worded rejection note. Without knowing exactly what you're looking at I can't be certain, but I doubt they'd process it.

Stuartli 09:46 19 Dec 2003

A large number of American businesses in recent years have begun to refuse to ship goods abroad - I think it's something to do with government legislation.

There are organisations in the States that offer to order goods for you and ship them if the retailer won't co-operate but, of course, the extra cost usually nullifies the savings.

Ben Avery 12:43 19 Dec 2003

...you are buying wedding dresses, in which case he US is MUCH cheaper! ;o)

I just ordered my other half's dress from US for her for $299 (which equates to around £420 incl. VAT and customs tax). The same dress in UK costs over £700!

Woohoo!

BA

Stuartli 14:02 19 Dec 2003

Sorry, but it doesn't equate to around £420 including VAT and customs tax.....:-))

Better get a new currency converter..

Stuartli 14:09 19 Dec 2003

$299 at the exchange rate at the moment is £169.184.

Check it out here:

click here

Ben Avery 15:15 19 Dec 2003

Wrong figure, I meant $399!

D'oh!

Let's hope they make they same mistake eh? Not likely though...

BA

A,,W,,B,, 10:00 23 Dec 2003

I work for Royal Mail and many customers are dismayed when they find import VAT has been added to their item from the USA also the Royal Mail handling charge of £4.00.It very often turns out MORE expensive.

Big Elf 10:27 23 Dec 2003

Plus, if the item requires paperwork to clear Customs you also get another (approximately) £20 added to the bill by the couriers who complete it for you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?