Buying a PC for gaming? Help really needed

hotgoose 15:52 13 Nov 2008

Hi, I'm looking to buy a PC for gaming, not above £800 but I have absolutely no clue what I'm looking for. I know absolutely nothing about computers. I'd need to buy everything as I only own a laptop. I'd mainly be playing games like the sims 2 and 3 (when it comes out) so what sort of desktop would I need to run these games as well as they can?
Also I don't want to build my own (wouldn't know how to) so I'm looking for one that is ready to just plug in.

Thanks so much guys
Is that enough information to go off?

The Brigadier 16:42 13 Nov 2008

Have a look a Novatech click here
And then post back with any other questions?

190119 16:55 13 Nov 2008

Here's another company with a good reputation, have a look at their gaming section and post back if needed as The Brigadier suggests.

click here

citadel 18:15 13 Nov 2008

core 2 duo or quad cpu, 3 or 4 g of ram, ati 4850 or 4870 graphics card, hard drive 320 to 750g.

Joe R 18:29 13 Nov 2008

PCA Recommended click here

GaT7 23:52 13 Nov 2008

"I'd mainly be playing games like the sims 2 and 3" - those games need/will need relatively mid to low-end graphics & system overall. Hence, I'm a bit surprised at some of the advice given so far.

As an example, a desktop with an Intel E5200/AMD 5000+, 9600GT/HD4650 PCI-E graphics & 2Gb DDR2 RAM will be more than enough.

Tbh, £800 may be too high a budget for your needs - £500 is better. So you should be looking at systems in this section click here. E.g. click here costs ~£390 with an OS. Add a 19" TFT widescreen monitor from eleswhere for ~£100-110 click here.

Shop around & you may get better value, but I've heard Novatech customer services are very good. G

rustyboy 08:07 14 Nov 2008

Is it only stand alone PC games you'll be looking at playing. None of the online stuff like World of Warcraft or Warhammer etc that seem to bre so popular at present?
The difference in the requirements needed to play sims and the others i mentioned is vast so you need to be sure of what you'll be doing with it or you may find yourself having to upgrade certain parts sooner than you'd like.
For example there are well documented compatability issues between Warhammer online and the 9600GT gpu (which apart from that is a very fine mid ranged GPU). Can ou provide a little more info on what exactly you will be playing on it.

jaraba 09:25 14 Nov 2008

Why buy a pc for gaming when the actual game machines are built especially for that task.
As said by rustyboy you may find, with a pc, having to upgrade various parts which requires more cost above original purchase price.
I also believe that they can now be used to play online games.

hotgoose 12:57 14 Nov 2008

I won't be playing any online games and, jaraba, I prefer a PC for playing the sims on as the console versions are very different to the pc ones. Do you guys recommmend that I look for something around £500-600? And do I not need a high end gaming pc? cheers

rustyboy 16:02 14 Nov 2008

Ok ive had a look at the system requirements for the sims games -
2.0 GHz processor or better
- 256 MB RAM if Windows Vista, XP, Windows ME, Windows 98, or Windows 2000
- At least 3.5 GB of hard drive space

So if this is what you are looking at playing then you do not need a high end gaming machine and you will waste alot of money buying one.

You can get one that will run this and other similar games for less than £500.00

Here is an example
click here
then add a screen
click here
add a 2 year warranty and there you have a complete system that will run sims and alot more besides for £459.67 including VAT and delivery.

This is just an example and you could get some even cheaper but this will allow you at least a little leeway when it comes to purchasing games. As games will require more power the newer they are.

I still believe you need to think carefully on what else you will possibly be needing to use it for as to be honest with you it seems a little extreme buying a new PC just for the SIMs game.

citadel 19:05 14 Nov 2008

best to get something decent to save you upgrading later.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?