Buying a new PC

Michael101 14:22 27 Aug 2008

I managed to save up around €1000 and I'm planning on spending it on a computer. I'd like a game-PC, so one with a big video card and all, but I'm not really experienced in computer building.

So, for €1000 (it may be a bit over 1000) what parts would be the best buy & where should I buy them?

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:44 27 Aug 2008

click here give these guys a ring. They are very knowledgeable and are well regarded on this forum (use the 'search' facility). They will tailor the computer to your needs and budget.

G

GaT7 22:35 27 Aug 2008

Is that €1000 or £1000?

A few questions to see what you need exactly....

Do you need a monitor? If yes, what size screen?Any other peripherals within that budget? A Blu-ray drive?

Do you think you'll want to add another graphics card in the future? For this you'll need a Crossfire/SLi-enabled motherboard, & a good one at that for optimal performance.

Mimimum to go for at your budget:

CPU: E8500 or overclocked Q6600
Graphics: HD 4870 or better
RAM: 4Gb PC6400

Consider a couple who do pre-overclocked systems - Chillblast click here & Overclockers click here. Chillblast's PCs usually include an OS, & may include a monitor & other peripherals (speakers, good keyboard/mouse) for the quoted price.

For ~£950, this click here looks very good with an overclocked Q6600 & a 280 GTX - one of the most powerful single-core graphics cards available today. Have included an OS & better Antec 900 case for the price.

For £1122, you can get this click here (no OS), with a dual-core HD 4870 X2 - the
most powerful single graphics card available today. G

FatboySlim71 08:55 04 Sep 2008

I agree with GANDALF <|:-)> link.

I got a PC from Cougar Extreme around 6 months ago and its fantastic, excellent build, excellent brand quality components and excellent customer service and excellent value for the quality of the components that goes into them.

I can remember reading a post on here where someone had built their own PC, they then for curiosity built the exact same system with Cougar's system builder (on Cougar's web site) the difference in price was a mere £40.

Personally I find this excellent value and I know that for the sake of £40 I would sooner get someone else to build the system for me, you have got to take into account as well that the Cougar computer would have a 13 month warranty, whereas the self built one would have none apart from the warranty on the individual components, so basically if something went wrong with the self built PC you would first have to establish which component had failed before you could go about getting a replacement component off of the manufacturer.

joel12 10:12 05 Sep 2008

Hi…I would suggest u to check for AcerDirect , Tesco etc. or any other store online you would like to buy, while researching I came across this click here
From the above link you can compare prices from different store to find what u need within your budget.. Also read the expert reviews to have a good deal

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone