Buying a new laptop

Barmoor's Kid Sister 17:07 15 Jun 2007

I use a computer at home for fairly basic purposes - a few games - mainly home finance and email and internet - I have a budget of approx £500 - What is the best Processor etc that i should be looking for??

Carly

The Brigadier 17:25 15 Jun 2007

For £500 your looking at the lower scale of Laptops.
Suggest you look at click here

puma22 21:14 15 Jun 2007

You could also look at Dell, but monitor hotdeals click here You need to look at the overall spec, i.e. ram HDD etc and not just focus on the processor. However, for 500 you should be looking at an intel dual core

spuds 00:43 16 Jun 2007

If you are looking for a basic laptop, then Tesco may have the answer. They are selling Gateway products at clearance prices. Gateway had a very good pedigree a few years ago, before they left these shores. They have now returned, and as yet need to re-establish themselves.

Babou 00:46 16 Jun 2007

I got an Acer at Laptopsdirect.co.uk, very happy with it so far. They've got one at £499.97 at the mo with AMD Turion 64 X2 and 2Gb RAM.

acxxxx 02:36 16 Jun 2007

I know this is more than your budget but as an example

click here

Processor:- Intel Core Duo 1.66 GHz
Graphics:- NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 7300
Memory:- 2 x 1024 Mb of DDR2 533 / 667 MHz memory
Hard Drive:- 160GB hard disk drive
Screen Size 15.4"
Card Reader
Wi-Fi

Acer seems to be the brand to get at the moment, they have some good spec laptops. If you buy as close to the above as you can with £500 you should be ok.

roy 09:35 16 Jun 2007

Look at these. The one at £399 seems very good value to me and would, I think, meet your requirements ideally.
I have bought from Dell in the past and have been very pleased with them.
click here

Also lookat this selection with extra control buttons (for multimedia) on the front.
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?