Buying new graphics card advice

asukamako 20:02 21 Sep 2006

I'd appreciate some advice!

My old graphics card burnt out after the fan stopped working and I'm looking to buy a decent card. I'm a big gamer so I need something suitable for high powered games. I used to have Radeon 9800pro 256mb which worked great for all my games. But I do not want to get a Radeon again after some investigation it seems a lot of people have had cooling issues with them (my fan stopped working apparently and burnt out the card).

So, can anyone advise me as to what sort of card is good quality and value from around £50 to £100. I believe Geforce 6600 GT is a good one, or Geforce 7800GTX or 7800GT 256mb, but any one got any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Mr Beeline 21:12 21 Sep 2006

I'm assuming you are on AGP? rather than PCiE?

I'm not aware that there have been that many "cooling issues" with ATI cards! Fair enough the X1900 XT-X uses a fair bit of power and can run a bit hot. But I'm not aware of any specific problems with the lower powered cards.

To be honest, you are a bit limited on your budget.

Either the X1650 Pro, or the X1600 Pro are about the best you can get ATI's wise on AGP.

Something like the GeForce 7600 GS could also be a possible. Or even the card you mention (assuming you can find one).

Have a look at a site like Overclockers UK click here

Good luck

Totally-braindead 22:15 21 Sep 2006

You could certainly get a 6600GT but a better option (though only a little bit better) is a 7600GS. click here

asukamako 11:28 22 Sep 2006

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I am certainly considering the 7600 GS. I've found it in a few places at a reasonable price.

One question though, how do I know if I need a PCI Express or AGP? I know the card I am using at the moment (a loan of a 4200 from a friend) is AGP but I hadn't even considered this.

Also, any tips for extra cooling in my case? I'd hate for a new card to burn out again. I have a fan on the side of the case, a PSU fan, processor fan and the graphics card fan. Any other ideas about keeping the interior cool? My friend said it's best to open the case up once a fortnight and clean away any dust that may have settled on the fans and this should be sufficient. Any thoughts?

Thanks again.

Rayuk 13:14 22 Sep 2006

9800Pro was an agp card.
click here may help you with your cooling question.

keef66 16:20 22 Sep 2006

If you had the 9800 pro, and now have a 4200 agp, you clearly have an AGP slot on your motherboard. So you need an AGP graphics card.

Don't get too concerned about cooling. Your experience of the fan failing and burning out the card is pretty rare. Also your fear of Radeon cards is not really justified.
You can get an AGP X800pro for just over £100 from Retek

click here

or as has already been suggested, an AGP 7600GS would be a good choice

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires