Buying on the net

flaming 02:22 17 Jan 2006

I have posted here because doubtless all the regular posters/customers buy things on the net. I feel nervous of doing so, what with all the scams I read about, and sites that are supposed to be secure not being secure. Isn't that why people might be spying on individual PC owners - intercepting financial details? I thought it might be in the forum archives, but things change so rapidly I thought past advice might not apply now. How do other PC owners manage?

Hamish 09:10 17 Jan 2006

Look here for information click here

961 09:18 17 Jan 2006

Make sure you have:
a virus checker that is up to date
an effective firewall (e.g.Zone Alarm)
a couple of spyware/trojan defenders (e.g. Spywareblaster and Microsoft Anti spyware)

Use only reputable retailers that provide a UK address and phone no or e-mail address. They will advertise on their sites what security they have.

Don't try to buy from those who offer stuff for a fraction of the proper price

ALWAYS ensure that the page you input your crdit card details has a gold padlock at the foot of your screen and the address begins https

Your credit card supplier will have a policy re internet use and should provide a policy that will re-imburse you for any problems so long as you take care

On this basis your transaction is as secure as buying from a shop

spuds 10:09 17 Jan 2006

Remember also, that it can be similar to buying from a shop, if you have need of the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000. Any item that doesn't come up to your expectations as a seven working day cooling of period, in which to send the item back. But check first, as some items could be exempt.

Always make print-outs of the items that you have ordered, you may need proof of the advert or purchase at a later stage.

Stuartli 11:47 17 Jan 2006

I've been buying goods on the Internet for many years from both the UK and the States and problems have been very few and far between.

As 961 rightly states only order from reputable and respected online retailers, ensure security measures are in place and you'll thoroughly enjoy the experience.

But make sure that someone is in to collect any goods when they arrive...:-)

JYPX 13:04 17 Jan 2006

Even taking great care, you may have a problem at some point along the way. At that stage the attitude & competence of your credit card company is what matters. I have found HSBC, in this respect, to be superb. No drama, no fuss, just reassurance. So when I go to the Trafford Centre and find that I am constantly pestered to switch my card to another company, because I am "throwing money away" I take delight in replying that I will stay where I am "not for financial reasons". What a conversation stopper that is!

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:33 17 Jan 2006

It is virtually unheard of (apart from urban myths) for home computers to be spied on or financial info taken from them. Any theft of financial info usually occurs from the servers of a CC company.

If you take moderate precautions....buy from well-known sites....... it is obvious that a 50" plasma TV/Ipod/Sony Vaio Laptop are not going to cost £20 each, no reputable site will ask you for your bank account password and check that a little padlock is at the base of your net screen when paying....you will be fine. It is also comforting to know that the Cc companies will cover virtually any loss from fraud, on the net.

I use AVG free and MS Antispy only. I do not use a firewall as I feel (and have explained on here many times) that they are a waste of time. I would recommend that you use a free firewall such as ZA or Kerio, for peace of mind if nothing else. I do nearly all my shopping (certainly for £50+ items) on the net with no problems at all. It is safer than tramping around soem of the UKs' grimmer towns.

G

citadel 18:48 17 Jan 2006

I have a seperate bank account from my main account and use a visa debit card to buy online. I only keep a few hundred in this account and top it up when needs be.

hzhzhz 18:52 17 Jan 2006

I do as citadel does.

flaming 13:15 18 Jan 2006

TVM folks. PC owner for 1 year. Have McAvee Security package. About 6 months in picked up a Trojan. McAv message saw it but said it could not be quarantined. BTBB Help saw my outward traffic was about 4 x my inward. I gather that means info.about me was being sent out - sold? -on the net for at least some days.Computer engineer called - he ensured I was clean and installed a Trojan guard ("Ghost Guard"). I know the little padlock sign means the advertiser is OK. I know common sense must prevail on prices offered. I prefer CC for purchases because purchases are covered. Genuine advertisers give a postal address and I can send my money by post if I want to. I still have niggling doubts about identity theft. I wouldn't Bank online for instance as the Banks have admitted to security lapses. Perhaps paranoia has got the better of me!

Stuartli 14:09 18 Jan 2006

That's the understatement of the year so far...:-)

I do all my banking online, order goods and many other activities of that type but, providing you have adequate security measures in place and use common sense there's little to worry about.

By the way, if you have a Visa debit card (not Switch) it is treated the same way as a Visa credit card for any transactions (this is the case, at least, with the Halifax and, I suspect, any other bank which issues them).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?