Buying a laptop (max £2000) for bioinformatics

miklatov 19:08 09 Sep 2010

Hello all,

I wonder if any of you would be able to assist me. I am poised to buy a laptop for carrying out bioinformatic analyses - for this reason it must be pretty much cutting edge (within budget limit of £2000). Can any of you point me in the right direction?

I have looked on the Dell website and there seem to be some good options on there, but before splashing out, I'd be grateful for alternative suggestions.

My (basic) requirements are:
*quad core (preferably hyperthreaded)
*A LOT of RAM (ideally 8gb....)
*fast, but large, storage

Anything else is bonus material, really.

Thank you for any help you can offer, in advance!

Sam

I am Spartacus 21:08 09 Sep 2010

Does bioinformatic analysis work in the same way as 'Folding' and is the intention to run 24/7? If so I don't think a laptop would be capable of running at high load and temperatures for extended periods, particularly with Hyperthreaded cores adding additional heat.

If it doesn't have to do the above then perhaps the Asus G73 is worth a look click here

miklatov 19:51 11 Sep 2010

Thanks for the reply.

You're right, lot of bioinformatic analyses can run for very long continuous periods of times. I have considered getting a desktop instead, for this reason.

But I think the longest analyses might run for maybe 6-12 hrs (absolute max!). Do you envisage this kind of strain being an issue?

Thanks for the link to the asus laptop - that seems like a very good price for what you get! Will take that one into serious consideration. (Especially like the DX11, openCL and DirectCompute support - Quite like to try them out).

Thanks again for the help! :)

I am Spartacus 15:17 12 Sep 2010

I think I'd ask the manufacturer. Although you can get laptop coolers they're not that effective and reduce temperatures by only a few degrees at best. After saying that I've not been able to find any reliable temperature monitoring programs for my laptops and am only going by the hard disk temperatures.

There would be the possibility of excessive heat causing throttling which would extend the analysis times and also the possibility of reduced component life.

If you're doing it regularly and the software makes use of CUDA then a desktop with 1 or more Nvidia graphics cards could significantly reduce the time it takes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017