Buying from Dell - Small Business Section

[email protected] 20:13 07 Dec 2006

My parents have offered to buy me a laptop for xmas as I'm studying at university away from home and at the moment I'm lugging my whole desktop computer with me every time I go home.

Anyway, I've been looking at the Inspiron 1501 on the Dell website for £469 click here which has a Turion64 X2 TL50, 512MB RAM, 80GB hdd and at the moment they're offering free upgrade to XP Media Centre Edition, free delivery and a free printer.

I had a look at the same laptop on the small business section where I can buy the same laptop but with double the RAM, XP home instead of MC and without the printer (which I'm not really interested in - you can buy the same one on ebuyer for 20 quid) for £445 inc VAT and delivery which is much better value.

Now, the laptop isn't actually for a business so is there anything preventing me from buying it from the business section (and entering a fake company name where required) or will I have to buy the inferior model from the home section?

Thanks

Dave

Jackcoms 20:28 07 Dec 2006

"and entering a fake company name where required"

Don't even think about.

Don't you envisage Dell doing a quick check at Companies House?

[email protected] 20:31 07 Dec 2006

If it wasn't a limited company though then there would be no record of it would there? I'm not totaly sure what the 'companies house' is.

Plus, are Dell actually bothered whether or not it is a real company. After all a sale is a sale...

Jackcoms 20:44 07 Dec 2006

"If it wasn't a limited company though then there would be no record of it would there?"

Let me quote from Dell's Terms and Conditions:

"Business User: legal entity or person who buys or agrees to buy Products &/or Services from Dell other than for private use".

[email protected] 20:47 07 Dec 2006

Ok thanks for pointing that out Jackcoms. I'll give them a ring before ordering and see what they can do.

wjrt 21:28 07 Dec 2006

believe there is a difference regarding warranty if buying business rather than as a private buyer. maybe someone with more knowledge can advise.

spuds 22:30 07 Dec 2006

Buying for 'business use' may lose your entitlements to certain parts of consumer law. Dell will most likely request business details and possibly a vat reference number. There are other things to take into consideration as well.

Speak to Dell's sales adviser, and possibly your students union. The university that you are attending, may have a special arrangement with Dell or some other computer supplier. Check and find out, could perhaps save you some hassle, and money in the long term.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?