Buying Advice

Sam280691 20:48 15 Jan 2006

Im buying a new computer. Im going to be using it for gaming etc. and some coursework.

I have 2 computers in mind but im not sure which I should buy.

click here

This with added:

Intel® Pentium® Processor 930 w/ Dual Core Technology 3.0GHz 800MHz FSB

2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz - 4 x 512MB

256MB PCI-Express x16 NVIDIA® GeForce™ 7800 GTX

OR

click here

With a added 2gb ram.

When i went through this I though the mesh would be better cus it has SLi however im not sure about the processor.

Thx For Your Help !

Sam280691 21:03 15 Jan 2006

Please Reply!

rmcqua 21:39 15 Jan 2006

What's your budget?
What kind of monitor are you looking for?

ade.h 21:45 15 Jan 2006

Alienware would be nice. Mesh? Hmm, not so confident. So many people moan about Mesh, but not so many moan about the other big UK box-shifters, Dell and Evesham.

The last time that I bought rather than built was 1999 and it was a Mesh. It had one minor fault, but I had to fix it myself in the end because the technical support rep was utterly unhelpful. Other than that it was okay really, but maybe it's gone downhill since then.

But like I said, I wouldn't actively recommend one in the face of all the Mesh moans that we get here. It seems to have a higher problem rate than some other major brands.

Crash 22:53 15 Jan 2006

click here

Its not the Dell XPS version but just as good

DrScott 02:49 16 Jan 2006

It's (fairly) universally accepted that AMD is better for gaming and Pentiums for video/music encoding. Something to do with shorter pipelines and fewer of them on an AMD CPU...

If you're reeeeallly interested in CPU structure then this might help click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?