Buyers, new change to Sale and Supply of Goods Act

slysy 15:27 31 Mar 2003

The goverment has made an ammedment to the Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1979, which is now the The Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002.

This change now gives some extra protection to consumers.

In brief, before the ammendment, if you had a faulty product, it was the responsability of the buyer to prove to the seller that there was a fault.

The ammendment now means that if an item fails within 6 months, the buyer should be able to obtain a repair or a replacement from the seller or in some cases the buyer can request the seller to reduce the purchase price of the goods to the buyer by an appropriate amount.

By law the seller must repair or replace the faulty goods within a reasonable time but without causing significant inconvenience to the buyer and bear any necessary costs incurred in doing so (including in particular the cost of any labour, materials or postage).

The full ammendment can be read at click here

It will be interesting to know how certain business will cope with these new changes and hopefully there wont be to many problems in getting a resolution, the regulary mentioned bad boys of customer serivce should take notice of these new changes.

March Hare 16:18 31 Mar 2003

An excellent post, slysy, thank you.

I had heard there was achange coming, but didn't know when, or what it was.

Have filed away your "click here" for reference in any future arguments!

Goldcroft 16:20 31 Mar 2003

We've had a couple of previous threads on this subject in which some pointed out that it was going to be a nightmare for sellers faced with unscrupulous customers!

HuskyDoc 16:33 31 Mar 2003

Now, would any member of this Helproom be an unscrupulous customer? I ask you!!!
HuskyDoc

slysy 16:35 31 Mar 2003

I think that there could well be an increase in consumers trying to pull the wool over the sellers eyes, but for years I have struggle with numerous companies that dont know how to treat customers fairly.

There will be many people that have spent too much of their own time and money persuing a resoultion to what should be a straight forward fix to a problem.

More power to the little people.

Many companies dont know how to service their customers fairly, so they had better watch out, will the worm turn?.

Anyway I'm off to buy new computer and maybe a fridge freezer or perhaps a new car to try out my luck.

Stuartli 17:56 31 Mar 2003

There are other reasons for businesses protecting their interests, apart from quite a few unscrupulous customers.

Because the general public now believes that it can happily "shop around" and get goods for the lowest possible price it forgets one important thing.

That's if you reduce the levels of overall profit for a business something has to give.

In most cases, after jobs, that's usually after sales and service because there is little profit margin left to maintain them.

That's one of the reasons the big high street stores are mounting a campaign to retain their profitable extended warrranties sales.

They don't have to run repair or workshops as the (expensive) warranty covers goods they've sold and the repair work is done by a third party.

If you pay a proper price you get proper after sales service and warranty. I've just paid £500 for a Miele washing machine which is built to prestige car standards and last between at least 15 and 20 years, used five times a week on average.

That's 50 per cent or more than your average washing machine (even then I paid £600 for a Zanussi washer-dryer in 1990, which the Miele is replacing).

However, I was also able to take out an extended parts warranty for four years after the one year Miele warranty expires.

It cost just £15. Yet the same insurance/warranty provider quoted £64 annually for a warranty for my £200 digital camera.....:-)

That says a lot about Miele's sheer quality of engineering.

Not very computer related (although the Miele's chip can be programmed for additional functions) but perhaps an explanation of why some firms seem to mistreat their customers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?