Buy laptop here or in US?

MoRog 11:30 05 Sep 2007

Hi, am looking to get a laptop mostly for music, images, and a wee bit of graphic design. Am off to New York for a month next week and I'm not sure if I'm better off buying one out there as it'll porb be cheaper... some folk have said that it won't have an international warranty on it, and won't be all that much cheaper.

Any ideas?!?

Thanks, Mo

click here
theres a section on international warranties

spuds 12:26 05 Sep 2007

The warranty issue covering repair, replacement and support can be a set-back if things go wrong and the warranty is not 'international' (which I think should mean world-wide, but most probably do not!) or zoned/regions.Another point to consider is 'grey imports' which may also invalidate any warranties.

Returning back to the UK, the laptop will require that you inform customs, who will usually tax the item. This could result in the laptop costing more in the long term, so no savings would be made on that score.Don't even think of getting a low value receipt for the purchase (some dealers may suggest this). Customs are well use to this and their calculations are from their 'little black book' database not yours.

Personally, I wouldn't consider purchasing anything like a laptop from another country, if my home domain was the UK. If you are working in another country on a long term or even short term contract, or even touring/visiting on a long term basis, then consider a purchase with a possible sell before your return (scuffed cases, well used look may reduce import taxes!).

wee eddie 13:21 05 Sep 2007

And a few minor Keyboard differences.

Don't forget VAT as well as any other Duties mentioned above by spuds.

ambra4 14:26 05 Sep 2007

MoRog check the other site

click here

Find the one you like Dell, Acer, HP, Tobshia, Sony , etc and the uk price

When you get to the US check the price of the one that you pick and you will find that the prices are much low than the UK

Bought a dell that was costing 800 pounds for 600 us or 300 pounds

look around Best Buy, Circuit City, Office Deport, Walmart,etc you would be suprise at the prices

1 pound is $2 us

As for international warranty you can get coverage world wide and does not cost much, also if you thinking about insurance use the UK price

Good luck enjoy

ambra4 14:40 05 Sep 2007

Spuds

The warranty issue covering repair, replacement and support will be covered under a world wide warranty

I have had parts replaced on my laptop under warranty in the Caribbean, Eupore, India, Sudan, UK, without any problems or cost

"laptop will require that you inform customs"

Why would you need to inform customs if you carrying it as your personal computer, they don't know that you bought yesterday.

Selling a used equipment in the US you might just give it away no one is going to pay you the price that you paid for it if the item cost $600 you would be lucky to get $100

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:02 05 Sep 2007

I have just had a Dell 1720 notebook delivered for £649. A very similar US spec one without the built in webcamera but with 1gb more memory coasts £600. By the time you have paid VAT and sales tax..........

G

ambra4 15:24 05 Sep 2007

Gandalf

That is if it is shipped to you from the US not if you buy in the US an carry back with you as your personal laptop

MoRog

I have bought laptops in the US for my daughter & niece who both live in the UK and taken them to the UK over my shoulder as my personal computer without any problems or pay any duty

The only thing that you will be required to do is show that it is a working computer by turn it on

Millions of people travel the world with laptops with out any problems or pay duty

When you get back to the UK you will need to buy a UK to US adapter check this site

click here

Or you can get one at you local market for about 2 pounds forget about voltage converters as all present day laptop have 100 –240 volts power supply

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:57 05 Sep 2007

The price is as paid in The States and does not include delivery to the UK but does include delivery to anywhere in the US. Even without paying duty which, in polite circles, is a bit illegal, the price is hardly any different especially if you add US state sales tax.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:59 05 Sep 2007

The price is as paid in The States and does not include delivery to the UK but does include delivery to anywhere in the US. Even without paying duty which, in polite circles, is a bit illegal, the price is hardly any different especially if you add US state sales tax.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?