business software payslips/wages

  surfsteruk 12:57 27 Mar 2006


my sister is setting up her own shop soon and i've been trying to find out information on software that will create and calculate pay and payslips etc. There is only going to be about 4 employees in total so she said she would do everything by hand. but i'm not sure if this is legal? dont payslips have to be inland revenue approved or something?

English isnt her first language so any advice on software or just plain businness advice would be great, tx

  recap 13:21 27 Mar 2006

Here at work we use Sage, but I would think that this is a little over kill for your purposes surfsteruk. If you click here there is a quite a number of packages to choose from.

Maybe somebody else can direct you to a more suitable piece of software?

  Strangely Brown 13:35 27 Mar 2006

Alternatively, get a payroll bureau to manage the payroll for her. There's a number of organisations out there such as ADP, CMG, Northgate who will offer services from just processing right up to fully managed.

Obviously such services will cost more than a software package but at least she'd know that everything was legal and above board.

Depends of course on how much money she has available for such things but it's just a suggestion as an alternative to doing it all herself.

They can also be helpful with year end returns etc.

  wee eddie 17:07 27 Mar 2006

Many Accountants will handle the wages and all the correspondence with NI and Inland Revenue for you.

Mine charged £1.00 per head each week.

  spuds 21:56 27 Mar 2006

Your sister will have to contact the Inland Revenue and other government departments to inform them of commencement of her business. They will suggest and provide information as to a suitable package, as they now allow tax submissions on-line.

In the past I used Quickens , but Kate B (a forum member) father designed a very good product click here

  Simsy 09:41 28 Mar 2006

has been running her own business for a little over a year now. She has about 4 employees...

She does have an accountant, but her husband keeps track of things on a week to week basis...

He told me that he does the weekly wages/Tax/NI using Inland Revenue software that was provided free of charge on CD. I think he got it via local CAB, or the Bank small business advisor...

Whatever his means of getting it, the point is that it is available free of charge, and he says it is "very good". Very easy to use.

Good luck,



  wee eddie 11:17 28 Mar 2006

Your sister should visit an Accountant before setting up the business as there are many pitfalls that are easily avoided with good advice, which will probably be free.

Whilst National Insurance and PAYE are fairly simple to operate and the, above mentioned on-disk, tables will allow you to create the wages slips by hand. Family Tax Credits and similar benefits for low paid workers can be difficult for the initiated and change every year.

p.s. She will save herself a fortune if she sets up the books in a manner recommended by her Accountant.

  spuds 13:17 28 Mar 2006

One point in question about wee eddie's suggestion. Make sure that the accountant (if applicable)is selected by recommendation. When I ran my own business, I used a local chap because he was handy, and what a disaster that turned out to be. In the end, I used a reliable and very competent book-keeper, who did the accounts on a weekly basis. He used the IR software, and submitted all the accounts, never had any problems from IR or any other government agency.The book-keepers costs were about a two thirds less than the accountant.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?