a business pc as opposed to a domestic one - need windows 7- dell?

SANAP 10:21 22 Dec 2013

My dell dimension 9150 has win xp pro and I would need to upgrade come april 2014 for security reasons. From reviews it would appear win 7 is a bit like xp ie better than windows 8.1 but its not possible to configure a pc from DELL, it has to be DELL, for domestic use to have win 7. I have contacted dell and they say PC is preconfigured but I could buy win 7 and install myself. DELL did say I can get windows 7 with a business PC and that is where I knowledge is lacking. The one stated is called optiplex but the spec is different and I am now able to establish exactly what is different. All I spotted is that it does not come with speakers and DELL say it wont have same multimedia capabilities as a home pc ie an xps 8700.

help

spuds 00:20 23 Dec 2013

Did you look at the Dell website, and try to configure specifications to your needs by inserting 'no operating system', if Dell no longer supply Windows 7 on their machines?.

I use to be able to do this with Dell purchases, and then install the operating system to my liking. Perhaps things have changed now?.

Woolwell 14:40 23 Dec 2013

spuds - Dell have change their website and configuration options are now very limited on desktops for home use.

SANAP - There isn't a major problem with W8 but it is very different from XP. Do you have to have a Dell as there are other manufacturers that will supply W7? What is your budget and what do you want to use it for? Which OptiPlex were you looking at? Some, if not all have mini towers? You can always add speakers or use your old ones.

SANAP 14:48 23 Dec 2013

thanks both. Always used dell and I am not in uk so choice is limited. I want to use it for word processing, dvd making, playing music, internet, email and thats about it. DVD is say I do a wedding I want to edit etc etc. I have a macbook and use imovie but screen too small and imac too dear.

All magazines appear to be treating win7 as the next xp pro ie the best. I have helped a person with windows 8 on a laptop and it all worked but seemed overly cumbersome.

Saw win 7 on another laptop and seemed a lot easier.

I already have speakers. The optiplex I looked at was the OptiPlex 9020 Mini Tower and I have to admit I did not look at any higher specs.

spuds 15:09 23 Dec 2013

Woolwell - Thanks for the information. I haven't used Dell for quite some time now, since I had a dispute with them about voucher and discount codes.

SANAP 15:37 23 Dec 2013

yes the website is a nightmare,

SANAP 15:48 23 Dec 2013

I was too quick, not used dell website for 7 years!! I thought with technology things would be easier!! When I last ordered PC I could select the whole spec = good. Now not a hope = useless.

Woolwell 16:00 23 Dec 2013

It does depend on which country you are in and who will deliver to it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

Political cartoons in 2017: Chris Riddell, Rebecca Hendin and Dave Brown on what it’s like to…

The best iPhone for 2017

Tennis : comment regarder la finale de la Coupe Davis 2017 ?