Building society savings protection

  So Afraid 11:04 11 Mar 2008

My parents have savings with the Bradford & Bingley,do they have the same savings protection as banks.

  GANDALF <|:-)> 12:10 11 Mar 2008

Yes. Institutions authorised by the Financial Services Authority, such as banks and building societies, are covered by the Financial Services
Compensation scheme. This only guarantees to protect £31,700 of your money. Your parents will receive 100 per cent of the first £2,000 you have in savings, and 90 per cent of the next £33,000. Anything over £33k will be a total loss in theory.


  Pamy 12:56 11 Mar 2008

That has now changed since the Nothern Rock trouble. £35000, is fully covered by FS

  grumpy-git 15:59 11 Mar 2008

Good page to read on

click here


  So Afraid 20:25 11 Mar 2008

Thanks for the help.

Also the link,i notice a northern rock savings account gets a good mention,would people feel a bit wary of northern rock? or is it as safe as the rest for now.

  anchor 14:13 12 Mar 2008

Having government backing N/Rock is at least as safe as the others; possibly even more so.

  So Afraid 20:49 12 Mar 2008

Same as national savings then.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?