Building a new laptop

j.woody 16:09 03 Oct 2008

hi, i have decided to build a new laptop because my dell went wrong. This is my first time building a laptop so i dont know where to start.
My budget is around £500, (dont know if this is enough lol)i want a 15.4" laptop and it has got to be quite fast because i like gaming and i also do quite alot of work. I would like the laptop to be an xp or a vista ultimate (dont really mind which. I also need to have an integrated wireless receiver.
Any help would be appreciated.

version8 16:23 03 Oct 2008

Building a laptop will be near impossible to do.
Parts just are not out there to do the job as it is for pc's.

You could use someone like overclockers & add parts but it's limited to what you can add.

j.woody 16:25 03 Oct 2008

could i use a laptop that is for spares and change a few things?

interzone55 17:06 03 Oct 2008

the main laptop components tend to be bespoke.

There are places where you can buy a laptop carcass (case, screen & motherboard) but you have to be careful about CPU choice, as the heatsink & fan combos are only rated up to certain thermal levels, and a bigger one may not fit in the case.

Complicating matters further, your choice of screen will be very limited, because screens from different manufacturers may not be compatible with the motherboard graphics chipset, sometimes even different batches of screens from the same manufacturer won't work.

Believe me, it really isn't worth the heartache building your own laptop, it's hard enough assembling one from the correct components...

j.woody 17:12 03 Oct 2008

ok thanks for the advice i will take your word for it that going down that path will be a bad.

version8 18:05 03 Oct 2008

If you have an old one you want to take apart then reading a book like click here will help you understand a bit more!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 review

Be inspired by powerful National Theatre posters from the past 50 years

How to use the new Photos, Notes and Safari features in macOS High Sierra

Galaxy Note 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie