Budget DVD recorder

VNAM75 18:20 02 Nov 2008

Looking for one under £100. Will use it mainly to record satellite channels. I'm interested in this sony one on Amazon which got good reviews.

click here

Does anyone have this model?

961 10:21 03 Nov 2008

You'll see from the customer reviews that this is a good model

However, I'd seriously suggest you consider a recorder with a hard drive, even though I suggest it will be more expensive

We have 2 recorders, one with a hard drive. The other is hardly ever used because of the faff with the discs and the fact that the recording time is limited if you want good quality

DippyGirl 12:32 03 Nov 2008

I have used the Humax PVR9200T for a couple of years, you used to be able to pick up for just over £100.
Twin tuner records to HD - can download progs to a PC and then edit/burn as you wish.
Not sure about hooking up to satalite (havent got sat.) but they have an active/helpful forum click here ask there if you are interested.

anchor 13:32 03 Nov 2008

I am not familiar with the latest Humax HDD recorders, but their previous models did not have an AV-in socket, (which you would need to record from a satellite digibox). Whatever you choose, ensure there is a AV-in socket.

I agree with 961; best to go for a recorder with a hard drive.

I record from Sky very often using my Panasonic HDD recorder. Unfortunately they are more expensive.

daveeb 13:38 03 Nov 2008

All PVR's on sale at the moment will only record material from their internal tuner(s)and not from external sources. As per 961/anchor i'd get an hdd based dvd recorder.

VNAM75 20:41 03 Nov 2008

Thanks for the advice regarding the hdd.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017