BT I-Plate

harlow 11:06 30 Jun 2009

I note that your ADSL tip (Sept.2009 p.111) you say that the BT I-Plate replaces the ADSL filters around the home.
BT's helpline says that "you still need ADSL filters connected to every socket in use in your home"

Regards. Harlow

wee eddie 11:16 30 Jun 2009

Could I add a relevant supplementary.

Has anyone, who has installed and used, a BT I-Plate, any opinions on its efficacy and whether it's worth the bother?

harlow 12:05 30 Jun 2009

Wee Eddie
I thought that there would be comments regarding the requirement of ADSL filters.
re your eficacy of the I-Plate, there are a number of conflicting opinions on the BT website, read down to the end of the posts to get the full flavour.
I am minded not to bother, especially as it looks as if I'm stuck with all the existing filters.

Stuartli 15:10 30 Jun 2009

BroadbandBuyer states:

The instances below indicate where the iPlate will have little or no effect:

- Where there is already an SSFP (Service Specific Front Plate) installed, thus separating the broadband and telephone signals

- Where the socket is a newly installed BT Openreach socket (with BT Openreach Logo)

- Where the line is newly installed, without the bell ringer wire included

See:

click here

Flak999 18:13 30 Jun 2009

I have just bought and installed an I-plate, and I can confirm it has made no difference whatsoever to the speed of my connection!

mikef. 19:14 30 Jun 2009

To the contrary it has speeded my connection up about 20%, and you do still need filters

Arthur Scrimshaw 20:04 30 Jun 2009

fit ours as part of a process of elimination of a broadband fault and he stated we do not need filters downstream, and we have had no problems.

oldbeefer2 08:23 01 Jul 2009

Yes, the box splits ADSL from phone signals - all extensions wired from the box are therefore filtered. I fitted one some weeks ago and saw a small overall increase in speed (lot of extension wiring in my house).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?