BT Farce

ened 07:10 25 Feb 2008

I thought I would open this thread as a warning because BT is such a monolith, and their call centres are spread so far apart, what can happen can really depend upon the whim of the person answering your call and you NEVER seem to have any comeback even when you take a name. In fact I’m not at all sure they don’t give false names.

My problem is that they wrote to me a month or so ago and told me they were putting me on a rolling contract (12 months), it wouldn’t cost me any extra and I would get all these divert options, which would normally cost £X, free of charge. I don’t have to do anything and if they haven’t heard from me by 19/02 they will assume my acceptance.

I have switched to AOL for calls starting on 28/02 so I called last week (17/02), wasted over thirty minutes and spoke to four different people but managed to cancel it. On this occasion I asked for and was given a Reference Number.

Despite this, on Saturday I received a letter welcoming me to the new contract…….

It explained that I was now on a yearly contract blah blah…...

I now have to waste yet more time this morning in sorting this out.

I don’t need any help; I wanted to warn anybody else not to take anything for granted with BT and always get a reference number (Assuming this will help me sort it out) on the telephone for anything.

One of the points which came out of last week’s conversations was that, had I not cancelled, they would have charged me for the remainder of the 12 months when I switched over to AOL, which would have been just over a week away! I don't know what they were going to charge because they had told me the option was free and I am keeping my line rental with BT.

Again I am sure it would all have been sorted out but who needs the extra hassle?

Pine Man 11:42 25 Feb 2008

I had a query with BT and sent an email complaint form from their web site. The following morning I had a phone call from BT explaining about what I thought was a problem and resolving it politely and very promptly.

10/10 to BT on this occasion.

(No I don't work for them but credit where it is due)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?