BT ending Surf Time service.

bob308w 08:38 31 Dec 2006

I've just had a letter from BT informing me that the SurfTime service will be ending on the 31st of March 2007. From this date I will be on the BT SurfTime pay-as-you-go rates of; 1p per minute during the day, .6p per min. in the evening and .5p per min. at the weekend. (set up fee of 3p including VAT applies, whatever that means).
Are these charges reasonable, or is there something cheaper out there? What are other SurfTime users going to do? I guess what i am asking is, what is the cheapest Broadband?

wiz-king 13:06 31 Dec 2006

Go for broadband, you will soon find it as cheap - because you will use the internet for longer!
I still have a telephone based PAYG account for emails as I didn't want to change my email address, I just use it once a month to keep it open and use the webmail bit of it the rest of the time.

You will need to check that you can get broadband where you live and at what speed.

spuds 16:25 31 Dec 2006

I thought BT had stopped their Surftime package deals ages ago. I use to subscribe to BT Surftime and Lineone, making a joint payment situation.

When Tiscali merged with Lineone, I hopped for a Tiscali broadband package. Since then, I have saved pounds, and I would suggest that you do some price checking, as paying by the minute is not at all cost effective, unless you only use the service for the odd minute or two per month, possibly for email collection or perhaps delivery.

bob308w 09:58 01 Jan 2007

What do you actually pay for on pay as you go? from the time that you connect your pc to the net? whilst surfing? whilst sending data? its new to me.

terryf 11:22 01 Jan 2007

bob308w, it is like a telephone call, you start to pay as soon as you are connected to the party at the other end of the phone

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?