BT Broadband "Contract" - Leave or accept increase

compumac 21:34 10 Feb 2017

I was a buyer for a great number of years and arranged contacts with suppliers for fixed prices for a given length of time for their products which allowed us to then plan company finances for that period.

I recently started a two-year Broadband contract with BT and within two months of commencement of that “contract” I was advised

We wanted to let you know that the price you pay for your broadband and calls will be going up on 2 April 2017".

“You don't need to do anything but if you want to change something or leave, and you're within your minimum contract term, you'll need to contact us within 30 days of receiving this email to avoid paying a charge for leaving early. You'll need to give us 30 days' notice to leave (or 14 days if you're switching to a new provider). We won't charge you for any increase in price during that time”!!!!!!!

This seems a very, very one sided “Contract”.

wee eddie 21:51 10 Feb 2017

Of course. Did you not read the T&C's.

I'm sure it says, somewhere, in words to the effect "We reserve the right to change this contract at 30 days notice"

mole44 07:22 11 Feb 2017

If you're able to jump ship to Virgin better speeds.

compumac 08:25 11 Feb 2017

wee eddie

I am sure that the T & C 's do reflect that, but it does not change the fact that everything is a one sided beneficial contract.

Old Deuteronomy 10:49 11 Feb 2017

compumac, Phone BT sales, politely threaten to leave and see what they can come up with to keep you as a customer. I reduced my monthly bill (including TV and unlimited fibre) from £65 to £41, only a few weeks ago. I try it on every time a contract term expires and it always yields a discount.

HondaMan 11:31 11 Feb 2017

I have recently moved my home phone from BT to another supplier. BT were very keen to keep my custom, so much so, that they offered me two cheaper contracts. The first, cheaper by £0.01 per month and when I laughed, cheaper by £1.00 per month. I moved tp Plusnet!

Smudge120 15:14 11 Feb 2017

I changed to BT for broadband and phone calls. No TV as we do not want to watch sport and go dancing several times each week. It is a twelve month contract with fixed price and a credit cards with over £100 to spend on it. I thought it was a good deal. I was with TalkTalk who could not match it. Will see what Bt offer in November when the contact finishes.

chub_tor 21:49 13 Feb 2017

I have been with BT for several years now and regularly do a new contract deal with them. They are most reluctant to let customers go and will happily drop prices or offer incentives if you negotiate with them. Other that line rental increases (which I pay as a lump sum)I have had no increases in my bills for the past 3 years. No fibre here so I am stuck with a poorish download speed. But at least I did get a free Home Hub 6 this year and a very good modem it is.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone