Bt Broadband Questions

Mark5001 07:48 02 Aug 2009

Hi all. Moved to Wales on 7th July and finally got BT broadband on the 23rd. Problem is it is really really slow. A BT test says my line can support 2.5mb but I am getting only 60-80kb. I am still on the 10 day stabilisation period ?? so cannot moan at them until that is over. What is this period for? It is a nightmare to even open this forum and takes maybe a full 5 mins to do so. The line fluctuates as I expected at peak times and I don't expect to get 2.5mb all the time. But at points in the day it will not even open googles home page. So will the line settle after this 10 day period, has anyone had the same experience? And what can I do if the speeds stay like this after that? I am paying for the 3mb service which will be 6mb in November as the minimum. I was used to Virgin 20mb in Bournemouth so I suppose I would notice it.TIA.

961 08:05 02 Aug 2009

Stabilisation period allows the system to establish the highest initial stable connection speed which is used thereafter.

One thing you can do now is test the internal phone wiring. Connect your broadband system to the internal test socket in behind the face plate in the master BT socket in your house. This will show the true speed the line will allow, by eliminating any faults in the house wiring that is causing a slow connection. If this shows an improvement then you need to buy a new faceplate with two sockets, one for broadband and one for internal phones

If ther is no improvement then contact BT and ask them to check the line between the exchange and your master socket

RobCharles1981 12:41 02 Aug 2009

Congratulations you seem to have joined the BT ("Broadband Throttling") club.

If your still in the 10 Day Training Period Id opt out then BT will give a Mac Code.

What does Samknows Say you can get ar your exchange?
Post Back the Full Results.

click here

Assuming Your on the BT Home Hub can you post your full line stats from it if you can instructions are below.

There is a page within the router GUI that displays the line stats. Click the link below.

click here.

Alternatively, click the link below:

click here

Click on Broadband Connection on the left of the main screen, choose DSL Connection and finally choose Details at the top right of the page.

spuds 13:52 02 Aug 2009

If you say that you are getting low speeds now, then do not think in terms of 6mb 'as a minimum' in November as a certainty.

Like most ISP's, BT have perhaps given you an 'upto' possibility. I have a 'upto' 8Mb package, yet never seem to get above 2Mb. BT OpenReach have checked the line out, and have stated that I should be able to get 4Mb, which they are unable to provide!.

I would suggest that you ask BT for a link to their recommended speedtest, then do regular checks, which you record, and go from there, if things do not improve. BT should also have records of your speeds and if there are any outage problems. I know my ISP does.

Going back to my speeds, BT put a direct BB cable from the new type master box to the computer, so by-passing the internal phone system and devices. Didn't make the slightest difference to my set-up, so it can only be BT's infrastructure thats to blame!.

Mark5001 17:49 02 Aug 2009

Thanks for the reply (and the others as well)here are the stats.

The following services are available in your location:

BT Wholesale ADSL
BT Wholesale ADSL Max

Line state Connected
Connection time 0 days, 07:55:51
Downstream 864 Kbps
Upstream 448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 16.1 dB / 16.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 47.5 dB / 28.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 1.5 dBm / 1.3 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote) 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote) 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote) 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up) 32641 / 2125
CRC Errors (Down/Up) 705 / 1380
HEC Errors (Down/Up) 182115 / 1768
Error Seconds (Local/Remote) 32104 / 2789

RobCharles1981 19:56 02 Aug 2009

"I am paying for the 3mb service which will be 6mb in November as the minimum."

BT have got you wrapped around your little finger here.

Your Noise Margin is perfect I have that level on my stats.

Your Line Attenuation is perfect for the full 8mb

Id get out of their service and jump to ADSL24 one of the best I've ever used.

Monthly Rolling Contracts so your not tied into anything, no Port Blocking or Traffic Shaping, UK Based Support and a Good Usage Allowance Cap of different set prices.

You won't go far wrong!

beeuuem 20:47 02 Aug 2009

My line stats are

Uptime: 37 days, 1:23:25

Modulation: G.992.5 Annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,308 / 24,190

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 900.21 / 6.04

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 18.0

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.0 / 14.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 7.0 / 4.5

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ?

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 1,698 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 11,019 / 2,184

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 19,264 / 1,552

The large number of errors of all types in your stats suggest a line problem.
BT are not notably sympathetic with the BB problems, they usually state that anything over 400kcps is acceptable.
Try running a quiet line test from the master socket. Dial 17070 and follow the instructions. If you can hear any noise at all on the line report it on 151 as a noisy 'phone line, DON'T refer to the BB problem.

Mark5001 11:51 05 Aug 2009

Day 10 has dawned and I am getting a speed of about 2.9mb constantly now. Relief. Thanks for all your help people.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?