Brother HL-2030 / 2040 Printers

Xzrox 23:12 15 Sep 2006

Popped in to Staples for my bi-yearly stationery shop when a alarmingly knowledgeable [sic] salesman pointed me in the direction of the latest Brother HL-2030 (or 2040, I forget). He was rather objective, and upon comparing the specification with other printers in-store and with that I already know, I do rather believe this thing might be a little star in the waiting. The reason why is because a machine that should retail for over 100 GBP is up for grabs in Staples for 49.99 GBP. I've trawled the web for reviews tonight and it would appear this price can not be beaten.

So, is this a bargain, or has anybody experienced this product and believes adoration is short-lived?

Reviews split some hairs saying paper can be known 'to curl' and it 'can be noisy'. Can I just point out, I have an old HP Laserjet 5L and it curls for England so I'm fairly confident the technology has developed on somewhat and minimised curling in modern day!

My main reason for posting this little enquiry is because I am exceedingly loyal to HP due to build quality and reliabilty. Well, build quality of the past since they all look like now they will shatter if even slightly dropped. What a shame on HPs part.... so how's this Brother? Any good? Many thanks in advance. :-)

Diodorus Siculus 02:56 16 Sep 2006

I can only speak from my experience of a 2040 that runs very well and never has had a problem; does maybe an aversage of 80 sheets a week for the last two years and keeps pumping them out.

stylehurst 17:08 16 Sep 2006

I cannot comment on the 2040, but I have had a 1450 for the last three to four years, it gives no problems, and I am still on the original toner. At that price, I would go for it, I am very pleased with my Brother printer.

Les 22:51 16 Sep 2006

I've had the 1230 for around 4 years now, always had and still do have good service. It's economic and fast enough for me. At that price it's a steal!

Les 22:55 16 Sep 2006

Whoops!! Sorry, just read your post again and saw that I had 'read' 1230 when it clearly says 2030.

Xzrox 00:13 20 Sep 2006

Two trips to Staples - unfortunately the first one (according to Brother) had 'a faulty scanner' and should be returned.

The second one works superbly and thus far I am thoroughly impressed with this piece of kit. For 49.99 GBP inclusive of VAT I am utterly flabberghasted. 100% bargain.

If anybody's wanting a very neat, small footprint printer then I recommend you pop in to your local Staples before the offer drops. I checked the Brother website and apparently the HL-2030 should retail at around 100.00 GBP so I'm very happy indeed! :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?