Broken Laptop Advice?

Doomsdaydevices 13:55 08 Feb 2009

In October, me and my mother went halves on Advent 6411 from PC World (d'oh), and it has been working fine, until now. Yesterday, I was sat down with it, and had been on it for a number of hours, when something caught my eye on the TV. When I looked back at the laptop, there were black marks on the bottom of the lcd screen, and bars stretching up it.
I was very shocked and couldn't understand what had happened.
I immediately took it into my local computer shop, who told me it had been caused by severe physical damage (or not?), and that I should at least try to get it on warranty from PC World before I think about getting it replaced.

The thing is, the time I was looking at the TV could only have been 2-5 mins, I didn't touch the laptop in that time, I didn't move from my seat, and there was no one else in the room.

Now, I know for a fact that PC World will not repair or replace it without a fight, and will claim that I have done something to cause it (the man at my local shop said they'll probably say I closed it whilst a pen was on it, but no closing occured...), but me and my mother are going to go down there anyway, just to kick up a fuss.
Does anyone have any information (similar problems ?) that we can use in our defence? I am incredibly angry about all this...

MAT ALAN 14:01 08 Feb 2009

If you go to PC World to "just kick up a fuss", however bad you think PCW are, there will be no point, and i would offer no sympathy if they chucked you out...

Go and speak to them by all means but let decorum rule the day, discuss the issue and get as much technical advice that you can...

read up on your warranty aggreement and find out exactly what your lappy is covered for....

good luck...

canarieslover 14:23 08 Feb 2009

Quite honestly if you thought that badly of PC World then why buy from them in the first place? Just go into the shop and politely explain what has gone wrong with the computer, it's more likely to get a sympathetic ear than kicking up a fuss will do.

Doomsdaydevices 15:46 08 Feb 2009

Okay, for the first part, I didn't know there was anything wrong with PC world until I started looking into this issue. Secondly, telling me not to kick up a fuss isn't helpful advice. That remark has been misunderstood. Of course we're going to explain what's wrong with the computer. Its just based on the assumption that they will refuse to do anything about it, in which case, I'm going to have to fight for it. Saying "Okay, then" and going home with a broken laptop isn't going to get anything done.

MAT ALAN 15:56 08 Feb 2009

its just based on the assumption that they will refuse to do anything about it

Based on what?

I didn't know there was anything wrong with PC world until I started looking into this issue.

Then wouldn't it have been sensible to research their after sales service before buying...

Your particular branch of PCW might bend over backwards to help you...

spuds 16:13 08 Feb 2009

I am not sure if you are looking for sympathy or advice. But your problem can only be resolved by approaching PC World on a more amicable footing, and not blaming them for something that mysteriously and suddenly happened in 2-5 mins.

After you have sought their help,see what they say, then come back to the forum and let us know what happened!.

In the meantime, you could ask about your consumer rights from click here

Doomsdaydevices 16:16 08 Feb 2009

-Based on what?

The man at my local computer shop, who told me they will claim I did it. To quote him, he said "They're not very nice there".

-Then wouldn't it have been sensible to research their after sales service before buying...

Of course it would. But that doesn't help me now.

-Your particular branch of PCW might bend over backwards to help you...

They might, but as I said before, I think its more likely they won't. "They're not very nice there".

Doomsdaydevices 16:21 08 Feb 2009

I am not sure if you are looking for sympathy or advice

I'm looking for advice. What I wanted to know was about people with similar cases, what their results have been, my rights as a consumer, and if anyone knows of this model/manufacturer having a history of this problem.

Forum Editor 16:54 08 Feb 2009

on something the man at the local computer shop said is hardly the way to go about things.

Current consumer legislation says that if a fault in your computer develops within six months of the date of purchase it is assumed that it (the fault) existed at the point of purchase, and the supplier is liable to replace or repair the machine, unless it can be demonstrated that the fault did not exist when you bought it.

In a case like yours PC World may well attempt to claim that the fault is the result of misuse and I suspect it would be at that point that you might decide to make that fuss you mentioned. My advice is that you resist the temptation - stick to the fact that the law protects you, and that the fault revealed itself spontaneously - tell the truth in fact.

Be prepared to hear PC World saying that the machine has to go to the manufacturer for inspection, and at this point you have a decision to make. Either you accept that suggestion, or you insist that the machine is accepted for repair.

Once the retailer accepts liability for repair it must be done within what the law calls a 'reasonable time' and without undue inconvenience to you. Try to get the machine accepted for repair, once you have tried asking for a replacement. You may be lucky, and get a brand new computer, but don't count on it.

Before you leave home make sure you have backed up and critical data files, and if any of them are confidential delete them from the hard drive once you have them copied.

MAT ALAN 17:06 08 Feb 2009

"They're not very nice there".

And you still bought a laptop from them...

anyway enough of the that, we are here to help and try we will...

The problem you descibe with your lappy screen sounds like an lcd leak which is condusive to a ceack in it somewhere.
Is there any possibility you could have twisted the screen enough to render this happen.

click here

the link explains a severe case of this is your lappy showing signs of this....

Doomsdaydevices 17:13 08 Feb 2009

Thank you Forum Editor, that was good advice. My opinion of PC world is not just based on what this man has said, but having looked into this I've read of a number of cases similar to mine where PC world have been difficult. However, if the general opinion is that PC World are reliable then I'm not going to argue that. I'll know for myself when I go there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?