broadband speed

hunky1945 12:44 21 May 2006

I have a 2mb service here in portugal, which has just been increased to 4mb. but aftera visit by a P.C. Techie because of a problem on my computer,I cannot geteven a 1mb service. he has adjusted something restricting to 1mb. any advise to get my fast speed back.

P.S. I do not want to get the same techi back as I do not have confidence in him.

Stuartli 13:53 21 May 2006

Without knowing the exact changes made it's difficult to offer any advice.

Do you have the latest drivers for the modem from the manufacturer's website?

In any case, as the PC techie has changed the setup for the worst, you should insist that he puts it right or at least explain why the changes were made.

lavella 02:55 24 May 2006

Did he adjusted something on your PC or on your router?

hunky1945 10:24 24 May 2006

I do not have a router, just an icedata500 modem which seems to be a modem pculier to portugal, i have looked for a new driver but my portugues is poor (even a translater the grammer does not make sense)i am sure that something has been adjusted on my computer,as it tells me I have a 1 mb sevice even when I am not connected. i am afraid my knowledge is very limited as i have no one to get advise from.and just rely on magazines and trying things on my computer.

Totally-braindead 10:49 24 May 2006

Could you tell us what is actually saying you have a 1mb connection?
Have you actually tried a speed test to see what you have?

hunky1945 14:01 24 May 2006

when connecting a flag comes up from the task bar saying, internet ADSL is now connected speed 1 mbps.
also when I hover my mouse pointer over the sign in taskbar. it reads internet ADSL speed 1 mbps Sent-------- recieved-------

I have done speed tests with 2 different testers both say about 850kbps.

Stuartli 14:32 24 May 2006

>>both say about 850kbps.>>

A small amount below what you could expect but nothing too much to worry about.

A 1MB service is "up to" 1MB - not actually a fixed 1MB; there are a number of factors involved including contention ratio (usually 50:1), internet traffic etc.

Stuartli 14:34 24 May 2006

I'm talking about a 1MB service as in your 14:01 posting - just remembered yours is supposed to be faster.

hunky1945 15:06 24 May 2006

I realise I have what would be right for a 1 mb service, but i am paying for a 4mb service,prior to the visit of the computer technicion I had a 2mb service which was working well, at near 2mb.

Diemmess 17:03 24 May 2006

I use Aol.
'Downgraded on the promise that Silver would soon be upgraded to 1Gbps.
Three months later and still no increase in speed.
Still on 500K on a line capable of > 2G.
No amount of telephone or online help changed anything until I wrote to the Vice President Customer Services. A phone call from a tech. who did some magic things at his end and at the third attempt - success, speed doubled, monthly charge reduced, and so far - problem fixed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The point of this is that if you can get hold of your ISP's tech support talking English, you could just be lucky.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone