Broadband from Sky

knockin on 14:20 25 Feb 2008

Some advice please about Sky and their broadband set up.
I am fed up with BT delivering only 1 Mbps despite promises to improve. The exchange is the problem.
If I change to Sky will they be able to deliver better, or will their performance depend upon the BT line speed? If I receive signal via satellite, surely BT do not need to be involved? or is that an over simplification?
I would appreciate some guidance, please.
Rob

tullie 14:25 25 Feb 2008

You wont receive it by satellite,it is by llu via your local exchange,its got nothing to do with satelitte.

Totally-braindead 14:25 25 Feb 2008

Does Sky not still need the phone line?

You seem to be thinking you get the connection through your aerial and that is not the case. Or do you mean something else like connecting via mobile phone?

tullie 14:27 25 Feb 2008

Yes,Sky uses the BT line.

Totally-braindead 14:28 25 Feb 2008

Thanks tullie I thought that was the case.

knockin on 14:31 25 Feb 2008

I was rather hoping that the dish on the wall might play a part in the process. No point in my changing then. Thank you

tb64 17:14 25 Feb 2008

You may find (if your exchange has benn LLU'd) a vast difference in BB speeds. Also I guess you woulsd be saving money as well.

I went from Madasdafish with 1Mb service at £18/month and 5Gb cap to Sky (already had TV with them) at 4Mb and 40 Gb cap for £5/month.

knockin on 17:32 25 Feb 2008

What does LLU mean and how can I find out if my exchange has been modified?

tullie 17:48 25 Feb 2008

I think Local Loop Unbundled,which means that Sky uses its own equipment.I think you will find it is.

Zaphod 3 17:50 25 Feb 2008

Exchange details at

click here

knockin on 19:50 26 Feb 2008

My exchange is not on the list.
Although I live only 500 yds from the exchange and BT have investigated - even to changing my line, physically, from the original to another - they cannot seem to improve the situation.
I guess I will just have to live with it, at present.
Thanks again.
I am typing this slowly to ensure that all the message gets through :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone