Broadband ISPs

humbug83 12:04 03 Apr 2008

I have just bought a new computer and intend to use Broadband to access the Internet. This would be my first time using Broadband and I am slightly confused by all the choices and technical jargon.

Although I would be accessing the internet from a desktop PC, I think that wireless would be necessary as the PC is about 2 rooms away from our phone line and so we wouldnt want a wire trailing the floor.

My dad thinks we should get BT Broadband as he has seen that they have had some good results in a recent survey but I have read some bad comments and was a bit unsure.

I would mainly be using the internet to play online games, listen to and download some music, and visit various different websites and forums and chat to my friends, but I am not sure what usage would be suitable for me.

Can anyone recommend a suitable ISP please?

humbug83 12:15 03 Apr 2008

At the moment I use a multi-way adapter like this click here except with 2 ports not 4 and we have our Sky TV connection wired into the bottom of this adapter. Would having to use a broadband filter affect our Sky connection?

I have used plusnet for some years 08451400200 £14.99 for up to 8mb they provide a router installed for about £30 look at click here great support
There other ISPs to look at AOL.com etc but I have tried a few in the past and I have not found any better than plusnet

I am connected via a phone extension line and on my No 1 PC connected via ethernet cable PC direct to the router then phone line You will be supplied for any other connections a splitter so that your PC does not interfere with phones or SKY Enjoy

humbug83 12:53 03 Apr 2008

When you have wireless connection, does the wireless router/modem plug into the phone line and that's it? Is anything else needed?

humbug83 12:54 03 Apr 2008

How does a phone extension line work?

Clapton is God 14:18 03 Apr 2008

"How does a phone extension line work?"

It does what it says on the tin. You run a telephone extension cable from a BT socket to the room where your PC will be.

It doesn't have to trail across the floor; you can run it around the skirting board for example.

My PC (on BB) is at the end of an 8 metre extension cable and my BB speeds are fine.

humbug83 14:37 03 Apr 2008

In that case, we have thought about a telephone extension cable but it would probably be easier to have wireless, as the cable would otherwise need to be fitted along most of the house!

techie4me 14:54 03 Apr 2008

I'm with Virgin for 10 years & have been more than happy with the service offered.

humbug83 15:05 03 Apr 2008

Is it correct to leave a router/modem on all the time, even when not in use, or should it be turned off?

Clapton is God 15:12 03 Apr 2008

It's entirely up to you.

I always disconnect from the internet whenever I'm away from the PC for anything more than 30 minutes or so.

I may be paranoid, but at least I know I won't catch any 'nasties' when I'm disconnected.

humbug83 15:15 03 Apr 2008

What do you consider as "nasties"?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017