Broadband Choices

Esso43 14:25 29 Apr 2003

Just looking for views on Broadband.

I am about to move from a Telewest area where I have Blueyonder braodband which I am happy with.

I am moving to a NTL area and a new building site (well finished before I get there I hope).

I don't know the full post code yet so cannot check if BT or NTL actually provide broadband there but I think they do although the new house will be a distance form the exchange.

Any preferences or things I should look out for?

vaughan007 14:40 29 Apr 2003

If it is a new house the chances of a cable being in the road are quite small. But it is possible.

However, your "normal" phone line will probably be ADSL enabled so your choice of broadband providers is literally huge.

Esso43 15:37 29 Apr 2003

I was hoping for NTL given the good experience I have had with Blueyonder, but will I notice any difference with ADSL?

And does anybody know of good ISP's for BB through ADSL.

Life was so much simpler when I had a choice of Blueyonder or dial up :)

simonp1 16:25 29 Apr 2003

Try this site click here

pipex nidram and zen seem good

acer01 16:28 29 Apr 2003

My sister has the NTL broadband service and she tells me that she is unable to connect more often than not also they have a download limit of 1 gb a day!!

NICK ADSL UK 17:17 29 Apr 2003

hi esso for what it"s worth My choice would be zen good customer service all professional that I know use it or demon both of these isp”s have many years of broadband experience behind them

Looking over IT 18:09 29 Apr 2003

Ive experienced both Telewest and now pipex (adsl) Telewest was great when I had it unfortunate reasons I had to let it go a few months back. Now Im with Pipex, they said I wouldnt be connected until 30th April but Ive been using it since yesterday and its good. The only minor irratation is having to tell the modem to connect to the network (didnt have to do it with telewest it was connected straight away) although this does take only seconds.

graham√ 22:12 29 Apr 2003

'New house', probably ADSL enabled? If only it was that simple...

jediknight007 23:16 29 Apr 2003

I have just signed up for PlusNet for £21.99 a month although you will have to pay at least £100 for the line activation fee, modem and filters. They also have a cheaper option of £18.99 a month but you don't get the webspace, e-mails and p2p file sharing. Should be receiving my broadband service in a week's time.

vaughan007 23:24 29 Apr 2003

I will clarify....if its a new house in an urban area it is probably ADSL enabled, but probably wont have cable. If its a new house in the sticks then you have the same problem as everyone else in the countryside. I.e. no broadband at all. Which is a shame.

bfoc 08:13 30 Apr 2003

It would be worth thinking about them.

I use their 600mb service and I've been generally very happy with it.

Yes I think their 1 Gb limit was/is silly, but I don't think that, if it stays at that, it would prove too limiting. If you also take their phone/tv package the overall cost is quite competitive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?