Broadband are we being ripped off.

aljon 21:53 20 Sep 2003

I pay for 1meg of broadband but am I sure that what I get is a lot less. Does anybody know if there is software tha can offer evidence that you are getting the bandwith you are paying for.
aljon.

Al94 22:02 20 Sep 2003

Try this
click here

tiroen 22:02 20 Sep 2003

BroadBand is a rip-off!! A few with more money than sense will pay £25-30.00 a month to download anything that is available. 90% of us would be happy to pay a fixed amount for say 10hours a month like was the case 5 or 6 years ago.

Eagle

Dipso 22:43 20 Sep 2003

You could always try this click here
I pay about £13 a month.

GANDALF <|:-)> 01:13 21 Sep 2003

This is indeed the end of the world...../eyes raise.

G

MichelleC 09:38 21 Sep 2003

BT have been clinging on to their monopoly over its charges to isp's (which determines how much us punters are charged) for too long. I thought Oftel had told them to reduce those charges months ago. As yet I haven't seen any evidence to suggest they're complying.

Thanks for that link Dipso, may give them a try.

mikef. 09:53 21 Sep 2003

BT have reduced charges to ISP's as instructed by OFTEL, they had no choice, it's just that the ISP's have choosen not to pass these on to the customers as most claim they were providing a service at a loss.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:16 21 Sep 2003

Broadband is far from a rip-off. If you are surfing the net, without much downloading, you might as well stay with dial-up. BB is only useful for sending and receiving large files. No one HAS to have BB, it is not as though it is written into the constitution (if the UK had a written constitition) and it is not the end of the world if anyone cannot get BB.

Irrespective of what people believe most ISPs are either breaking even or losing flipping great wodges o'cash. The arithmetic is simple and the figures for supplying dial-up or BB just do not add up. Most ISPs 'wealth' is purely paper profit/assets; running an ISP is not very profitable and I would doubt that anyone on this form would willingly take the reins.

BB costs the equivalent of 4 packs of fags a month or a morning and evening paper, every day for a month. Dump the newspapers and you have BB with a better range of news. Looking at BB this way makes it seem a cheap option.

The suppliers have to make that dirty word...profit (90% of the UK recoils in horror at the sight of that evilest of all swear words) and if the price per month is too high then that is real life. A product is always aimed at those who can afford it not those who can't. Judging by the lacklustre performance of any ISP and a dose of reality, I would doubt that a significant price fall is in the offing.

G

allstar 17:41 21 Sep 2003

Well for once I wholeheartedly agree with Gandalf.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:05 21 Sep 2003

/me faints.

G

Forum Editor 18:23 21 Sep 2003

hundreds of thousands of people are quite happy to shell out £30+ a month for satellite TV, yet complain when asked to pay less for a Broadband internet service - which provides (more or less) free access to more information that a human being could absorb in ten lifetimes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie