Broadband advice.

spartan 19:00 02 Mar 2004

Looking to go onto broadband,could someone advice me on the best provider with good price.
Secondly how hard is it to set up,do I need an engineer or is it a simple Diy job.
Thanks
Spartan

Wilham 19:42 02 Mar 2004

Telewest if you are lucky enough to be in their area.

If not Telewest, then Pipex is next in line by repute on this forum. Only snag is that it has just changed hands. To me there's the risk the new owners will try too quickly to recoup the millions they spent.
Ratio capital/No.customers is highish, but may be offset that Pipex have a larger business/domestic proportion; also business may be the less tolerant of poor service.

Unfortunately my Tiscali at present is beyond the pale.

Wilham 19:42 02 Mar 2004

Telewest if you are lucky enough to be in their area.

If not Telewest, then Pipex is next in line by repute on this forum. Only snag is that it has just changed hands. To me there's the risk the new owners will try too quickly to recoup the millions they spent.
Ratio capital/No.customers is highish, but may be offset that Pipex have a larger business/domestic proportion; also business may be the less tolerant of poor service.

Unfortunately my Tiscali at present is beyond the pale.

BEVERLEY-256334 21:51 02 Mar 2004

I agree with Wilham, Telewest, if you have it in your area, they come and install free until 31st march, and their customer support is excellent via self support on the web site,instant support tool cd which finds a fault and tries to fix it,and by phone (local rates apply), I've had it a couple of years now its great value for money and comes cheaper if you subscibe to any of their other services ie. TV or Phone line.click here

BEVERLEY-256334 21:51 02 Mar 2004

I agree with Wilham, Telewest, if you have it in your area, they come and install free until 31st march, and their customer support is excellent via self support on the web site,instant support tool cd which finds a fault and tries to fix it,and by phone (local rates apply), I've had it a couple of years now its great value for money and comes cheaper if you subscibe to any of their other services ie. TV or Phone line.click here

msmx5 01:27 03 Mar 2004

I recommend NTL if in their area, they seem cheapest of all cables/BT!

msmx5 01:27 03 Mar 2004

I recommend NTL if in their area, they seem cheapest of all cables/BT!

mgmay 01:59 03 Mar 2004

I have just upgraded to ADSL with Plusnet for £17.99 per month.This is 5x faster. But even their 10x is only £21.99 Look here click here for comparisons.

mgmay 01:59 03 Mar 2004

I have just upgraded to ADSL with Plusnet for £17.99 per month.This is 5x faster. But even their 10x is only £21.99 Look here click here for comparisons.

Forum Editor 07:03 03 Mar 2004

Remember that all other ADSL providers have to buy their broadband services from BT wholesale. I've used a BT broadband connection ever since the service was first launched, and apart from a few minor teething problems when it was all very new to the UK the company has performed faultlessly. My connection has been reliable and problem-free.

I once asked Pipex to provide me with a service (needed to run tests for clients). That was over 9 months ago, and I'm still waiting for a reply. I'm sure that was an unlucky one-off glitch, but it tends to make an impression.

Forum Editor 07:03 03 Mar 2004

Remember that all other ADSL providers have to buy their broadband services from BT wholesale. I've used a BT broadband connection ever since the service was first launched, and apart from a few minor teething problems when it was all very new to the UK the company has performed faultlessly. My connection has been reliable and problem-free.

I once asked Pipex to provide me with a service (needed to run tests for clients). That was over 9 months ago, and I'm still waiting for a reply. I'm sure that was an unlucky one-off glitch, but it tends to make an impression.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?