British Army Pro Boots

Marko797 12:04 28 Aug 2008

I've had a pair of these from my military days for some time, and sadly yesterday, they bit the dust. Sole peeled off, and so did the heel. Mind you, they were 8 years old and have had some 'hammer', both in and out of service. I use them for hill walking these days.

Does anyone know where I might get a replacement pair? They are called 'Pro Boots', and are the gortex version. They have a purple coloured inner lining, and the last few eyelets are the quick release loop lugs. They have a cushioned neck at the top of the boot. Superb boots for walking, I must say, and keep your feet dry and warm in winter.

Have had a quick google, and some places want around £125 for them, which naturally I don't want to pay.

Any help appreciated.

version8 13:10 28 Aug 2008

Silvermans are the best for this sort of stuff.

version8 13:10 28 Aug 2008
  I am Spartacus 13:20 28 Aug 2008

If you live anywhere near Guisborough, North Yorkshire there's a miltary shop there that sells them both new and used (broken in). My new pair cost me about £70 3 years ago.

I can track down the street name if you're interested.

Marko797 13:20 28 Aug 2008

thanks but had looked at silvermans earlier. Sadly they want £120 for them.

Marko797 13:22 28 Aug 2008

thanx, & that might be useful. Do they have a web site do u know? £70 is better than £120.

I am Spartacus 13:35 28 Aug 2008

It's unlikely, it's a one-man band run by an ex-army bloke.

I must say they're worth every penny, even of £120. They're the best boots I've ever had and I'm on my 2nd pair.

Are you sure you can't get them repaired though? I had another pair that were similar that were repaired by my local cobbler. It did cost around £30 but they lasted another 3 years.

Marko797 13:40 28 Aug 2008

Sadly, I think they are trashed. Never seen anything like it; sole peeled off, and so did the heel. The uppers are still good however.

In the meantime I've tried to contact one of my Army buddies to see if QMs can swap them for me, but won't hold my breath.

I agree that they are great boots, hence the desperate post, but I just don't like the thought of spending £120, although they probably are worth it, as you say.

Can u let me have the name of the chap, or shop name, or street and I can give him a call? Maybe best if u use the yellow envelope for this however. Much appreciated. Cheers.

Marko797 13:49 28 Aug 2008

sorry, just to clarify, it's the tread which has peeled off the sole and heel, not the heel or sole itself.

They are now both smooth and 'tread-less', so handy for sliding around on ice when winter comes I guess, or even water skiing no doubt.

I am Spartacus 13:52 28 Aug 2008

A good cobbler should be able to fix those. I had both complete soles and heels replaced on similar boots. Unfortunately I managed to break the steel plate in one of them though.

I must have paid cash, there's no record in my financial transactions. I can't locate it on the map either, it was on a side street off the main shopping road in Guisborough. Possibly Cleveland Street but it doesn't look quite right in Google Earth.

I am Spartacus 14:00 28 Aug 2008

It's on Chaloner Street, TS14

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?