Bring me up to date... anyone?!

Radix Lecti 21:37 07 Nov 2007

Hi all, I've not purchased a new PC, or upgraded my current one in the last 4 ish years (which is an age for me, as in the past I've usually kept it fresh.

It's really starting to show it's age with Vista etc and so I was wondering whether people would know what's considered an entry level spec, a mid range spec and a high end one.

Currently have an Athlon 2800+ (2 ish ghz), 1gb PC3200 RAM, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (256mb) GFX card, and an Audigy Platinum soundcard (one of the first Audigy's I think?!).

Im ok for a monitor and speakers, but would really like to know how much I'm going to need to shell out to get me back 'in the game' (yeah, sad I know).

All advice greatly appreciated.

P.s. I'm happy to build my own, but have heard that there's not much in it (price-wise), when compared with purchasing a system from an outlet (other than having the warranty in one please etc).

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:42 07 Nov 2007

What will you be using it for? Your spec is more than good enough for most uses.

G

keef66 16:41 08 Nov 2007

have a look at the systems supplied by Novatech for an idea of what now constitutes low, med and high end. Bear in mind their prices don't automatically include an OS. You'll find as I did that you can't build one for less.

If I was buying now I'd go for a Core 2 Duo E6750, 2 gig of 800 ram, the recently released GeForce 8800GT graphics card, and a decent, branded 700W psu to run it all

keef66 16:52 08 Nov 2007

They have a bundle with an MSI P35 mobo / the E6750 and cooler / 2 gig of ddr2 800mhz ram for £257. The 8800GT will be about £170.

If you're considering reusing older components bear in mind todays mobos have lots of SATA connectors but usually only one IDE, so you may need to budget for new HDD's and optical drives.

And don't skimp on the psu.

Radix Lecti 15:09 09 Nov 2007

Thanks keef66, it's good to hear what you'd be looking to buy if you were in the market.

What's the deal with AMD processors nowadays? Should I consider one, as I've always had AMD.

gandalf, I'm looking to get back into some serious gaming. Which is the reason I bought my 9800 Pro originally. It just doesn't keep up nowadays though :o(

Thanks all!

keef66 15:21 09 Nov 2007

In the days when the 9800 pro was the king of graphics cards, AMD processors were favoured by gamers because they gave better performance at lower clock speeds and lower prices than their intel counterparts. I have an Athlon XP 2100+ as a result.
All that's changed with Intel's Core 2 Duo cpu's, which now present the best bang per buck, run cooler, and hence quieter, than anything AMD offer. (the stock Intel cooler is almost inaudible, and will even allow some overclocking) AMD are playing serious catch-up at the moment.

Have a look at the cpu charts on Tom's hardware Guide to see how the current offerings from AMD and Intel stack up click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?