Brand Names and who makes them for whom?

Covergirl 22:47 25 Jan 2010

I've had a google around but not sure what to search on so been fairly unsuccessful.

Can anyone point me towards any sites that tell you the name behind the brand - I'm particularly interested in electronic gadgets, electronics, electrical goods; for example, the following 5 links lead to (what appears to be exactly) the same item under different, ambiguous or anonymous brand names and at different price points:
click here
click here
click here
click here
click here

I'm not particularly after this item but want something similar so I'm interested in finding a "brand" product sold under a cheaper name.

Any ideas you gurus out there please? Thanks . . . .

wiz-king 05:46 26 Jan 2010

They all appear to be the same manufactures product, only the first one mentions the manufactures name 'Skytronics' the others don't, I cant see a problem, as for the price a shop can only offer you a sale - take it or leave it.

Covergirl 08:30 26 Jan 2010

. . . that's not the point. Item linked to was just an example. If I could find out that Skytronics is manufactured by AKG (for example) I might be a little more sure of what I'm getting and a bit less hesitant parting with my money.

I'd be just as interested to find out who makes Technika TVs for Tesco or Matsui fridges for Currys.

If anyone knows this kind of thing, please let me know. Cheers

canarieslover 10:01 26 Jan 2010

You will perhaps find that it is not quite so clear cut as you would imagine. My Mother-in-law used to work for a dairy product company who produced, among other things, yoghurts for Sainsbury, Tesco, M & S, etc. They were produced by the batch with each batch varying in content according to who the end user was. Car manufactures now share common assembly lines that enable three manufacturers to produce a basic car with differences for each manufacturer, and none of them charge the same price. What may appear on the surface to be the same may well have changes umder the skin to enable various price restraints to be met. There is also then the question of after sales service. You may well have a battle with one supplier to obtain what another supplier would give without question. That is not to say that the dearest of them will give the best after sales service but it does need further research.

jack 12:07 26 Jan 2010

Much of the stuff we purchase today are either items made by a single manufacturer and labeled for each seller - some times with and sometimes not with slight spec modification.
Much other complex goods Computers/TVs/Cars and so forth are collections of parts imported from allover and once more assembled under various brands.
All the big names are at it and the old reliance on a Brand name as such has little meaning any more.
It has been said that Laptops no matter the label- come about three makers - these in turn acquire screens from plants that are jointely owned by big names LG and Sony I believe own one such such plant making screens for themselves and lots of others.
So if it does what it says on the Box and is the right colour- then vex no more- just go for it.

interzone55 15:49 26 Jan 2010

A lot of companies who manufacture for high street companies are under Non-Disclosure Agreements (NDAs) so they cannot reveal who they manufacture for.

Additionally some major brand names firmly state that they do not manufacture for the supermarket own-brands (Kelloggs and Nestlé for example)

I know that I've worked at two places where we made stuff for supermarkets, one used slightly different mixes for different companies, mainly because both customers claimed to have exclusive products, but they both looked and tasted the same, and once when I swapped the batches round nobody, including our technical director, noticed.

Another time I worked for a company who produced household detergents for leading brands and all the main supermarkets. The supermarkets all got the same stuff, we just swapped the bottles at lunch-time so Monday morning was Asda, afternoon was Co-Op, Tuesday morning was M&S, afternoon was Tesco etc. The leading brands used to get much the same stuff, but with nicer fragrance and less water...

2bathred 12:38 31 Jan 2010

Just to quote another example. When I purchased my new van I found that the Vauxhaull, Nissan and Renault were all the same except for cosmetic changes, the price difference was nearly £3k and when I plumped for the Vauxhall I discovered it had a Renault engine.

interzone55 15:35 31 Jan 2010

Not an uncommon occurance, many car brands share common components.

Jaguars have Ford Mondeo switches, The Ford Ka & Fiat 500 are pretty much the same under the skin, The new Seat Exeo is the old Audi A4.

My Skoda Fabia has an Audi A2 engine & VW Polo suspension...

Covergirl 12:17 05 Feb 2010

. . . . anecdotal examples, this sort of information appears to be something that can't be found on the internet !

I'll get my coat . . . .

Input Overload 13:24 05 Feb 2010

GM Europe in Germany uses Italian Fiat diesel engines & the latest Ford Ka is built entirely by Fiat in Poland. Fiat uses German Bosch fuel infection throughout.

oresome 14:34 05 Feb 2010

We purchased a sewing machine last week. The favoured model was a Which best buy, but another model by the same manufacturer looked very similar and was £30 cheaper.

I asked the supplier what the difference was. He confirmed that they were the identical machine apart from the graphics on the plastic casing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache