BPI to Pressure ISPs

14all 13:34 23 Jul 2006

After reading that the British Phonographic Industry (BPI) are starting to put pressure on internet service providers to suspend the internet accounts of people who have been sharing copyright music, dose this mean that anyone using the LimeWire P2P service click here would be open to having there account suspended if the ISP’s agree to do what’s being asked?.

ade.h 14:38 23 Jul 2006

I'm not familiar with Limewire, but if it is or can be used for illegal copyright-infringing activity, then I see no reason why there should not be some action taken.

Forum Editor 14:49 23 Jul 2006

Copyright holders will continue to look for ways in which to protect their property against theft, and this is one of them.

ISPs are interested in stopping people who download many gigabytes of data for obvious reasons - it's a bandwidth problem. If the BPI can convince ISPs that it's in all our interests to stop copyright thieves it would help; the ISPs will be involved in extra work, and with profit margins already cut to the bone any additional monitoring work isn't welcome. ISPs may also see potential problems with cutting off big downloaders unless they are happy that they have correctly identifed the download sources as illegal, and that's not always as easy as it sounds. On the other hand, an ISP is quite within its rights to stop excessive bandwidth consumption - many of them are doing so now.

One way or the other, theft of copyright-protected music and film files is a problem which must have a solution. What that solution will be remains to be seen, but if you can't connect to the internet you can't download, and I can well understand why the BPI sees the ISPs as vital links in the chain.

rodriguez 15:48 23 Jul 2006

Anyone who gets their Internet connection cut off will just move to another ISP anyway. It's very hard to stop piracy now as there are so many ways to get copyrighted material for free. There are also far too many people doing it now so it's almost become out of control. Most people who have the Internet will realise that music, games and films you can buy from the shop can be just downloaded for free so they pick the free option to save money. Everyone I know does it - one guy has a CD rack that covers the entire wall full of music he's downloaded, some of it still in MP3 format as well. The more people that start doing it, the harder it is to control.

Forum Editor 16:09 23 Jul 2006

That's the whole point of the BPI's approach - people will not be able to "just move to another ISP anyway" - they'll be disconnected from the new ISP as soon as they recommence their downloading habit.

It's actually very easy to control downloading in this way, but it's a complex thing to set up in the first place - without legislation it means that all ISPs must cooperate, and that's something that can't be guaranteed - at least to begin with. Once the major companies began to disconnect people it would become far easier. Big downloaders would do what you suggest - move to smaller ISPs - and those companies would soon have a massive bandwidth problem; they would have no choice but to join the others, and ban major downloaders. Once that stage was reached the problem would be largely solved, at least as far as the UK was concerned.

ade.h 16:31 23 Jul 2006

The fact that "everyone I know does it" does not make it right or legal. I don't know anyone who does it, but if I did, I wouldn't consider it acceptable at all.
As the FE points out, there *are* means of controlling this practice with the united support of the UK ISPs, either by agreement or by legislation. If successful, it could be adopted by other EU countries. No-one in the UK can use a foreign ISP of course, so there would be no loopholes in such a system other than self-moderating usage to avoid being targetted. Even that practice could be dealt with.

14all 21:59 23 Jul 2006

Thank you for your replies to this subject, I’ve never liked file sharing in this way, although my granddaughter’s recon it’s completely safe. My personal opinion is if you make a mistake you can leave others files or your whole hardrive open to anyone to do what they like to it, plus the fact that it’s illegal to download copyright material.

Their computer already slows right down when I believe someone is copying music files from their files, which normally makes it unusable for about 10 minuets, this amount of band width used regally would make it easy for any ISP to find people who do this on a regular basis and end their account.

I for one am stopping my grand children downloading from so called free sites and using programs such as limewire and they are going to have to pay for any music in the future. I might me a grumpy granddad for a while, but I rather it be that, than have my ISP cut my internet connection off because of it.

They will just have to get a Saturday job to pay for legal downloads in the future.

flyboy 17:58 24 Jul 2006

A friend of mine downloads this type of music on a regular basis. However he did get infected from time to time and up till recently I was asked to sort it out. A few weeks ago, I told him that that would be the last time I would clean up his machine.

He has since allowed a couple of youngsters (with the permission of their parents) to do the same. I spoke to him quite severely about this practise but he truly believes that he will always escape the consequences!!. He can't believe that I have forbidden my grandchildren, under promise of total banning, to use these sites on my PCs.

He now has a lot of trouble getting on the net and is constantly moaning about it, but I just ignore it.

His son has to travel from down south (over 200 miles) to perform these cleanups etc and he is not too happy about it either though he respects my point of view.

By the way, we are still friendly.

14all 15:04 27 Jul 2006

Flyboy

Nice to see someone else is trying to teach the younger generation what’s right and wrong, me thinks this should be done by their parents, in my case, my Daughter, still that’s another subject, power to the Grandparents :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone