On Board Sound

Siddhartha 13:46 22 Dec 2004

My computer has nForce sound onboard and I have been having some problems when playing games with lots of music (particularly Myst4 and Deus Ex Invisible War). I have used DXDiag to change the acceleration rate and turned as much of the music off in the games as possible. Is it worth me upgrading to a sound card? Will that cure the problem? As to the problem, is this being caused by some conflict?

Jdoki 14:28 22 Dec 2004

You may be better off posting on the forums for those specific games. There may be a known issue.

Your motherboard manufacturer may have updated drivers for your sound hardware, or there may be updated versions of the games that fix this issue.

Personally I use a Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS. These are available OEM from click here for about 60quid, if you don't mind getting the card unboxed and with no instructions then this might be for you. It does come with a driver CD, and is very easy to set up.

Stuartli 14:57 22 Dec 2004

You can buy a Creative SoundBlaster Live! Value 5.1 OEM sound card for about £15-£18 including VAT.

The drivers will have to be downloaded from Creative's website; an alternative is to get the retail version of the card, but you would probably have to update the drivers in any case.

Stuartli 15:41 22 Dec 2004

You also need good quality speakers for the better/best sound reproduction; it depends to a large extent on the sound card/speakers combination chosen.

Gaz 25 20:14 22 Dec 2004

instead of the on board nForce.

I would suggest a Creative Audigy or sound blaster live, and a ATi Radeon 9600.

slimbo51 20:55 26 Dec 2004

Both of my home comps run on 5.1 live cards but I do run the sound system through a power amplifier and good speakers.

Get the amps from car boot sales, usually part of an old tower stack system. Never paid more than a fiver for amp and speakers.

Sound output and quality is excellent using this method. Only on stero though.

Picked up a brilliant Sanyo amp and matched speakers the other week for £2.50 from a boot sale.

Cheap or What......????

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?