On board graphics card supporting Portrait View

daemo 03:11 24 Nov 2005

Hi,
I'm looking for an on board graphics card that supports a portrait view, is there anything on the market like this now? a motherboard which supports nvrotate? I'm prefereably looking for a micro-ATX motherboard

Thanks in advance,

Stuartli 10:49 24 Nov 2005

I might be on the wrong tack here, but why don't you just use your graphics card control panel or photo editing software to rotate the image through 90 degrees?

It's all I do for these type of images.

Stuartli 10:53 24 Nov 2005

Even my Agfa scanner's ScanWise software allows an image to be scanned to be rotated as necessary and even reversed...:-)

PaulB2005 11:09 24 Nov 2005

NVRotate is used to rotate the monitor image all the time and not just for the occassional image. So Windows runs at 90 on the monitor. Can also be flipped 180 degrees too.

Although daemo hasn't specified there might be a reason that he / she wants to have the image permanantly rotated through 90 / 180 degrees. Otherwise why would NVidia offer the option?

Stuartli 12:27 24 Nov 2005

Presumably because, for instance, if you use a camera (other than a two-and-a-quarter inch square negative size type) vertically for digital or scanned pix, then the resulting images need rotating to view upright on a computer screen.

PaulB2005 12:34 24 Nov 2005

But NVRotate rotates the icons, taskbar, desktop, everything. It's designed to be rotated and then left rotated for Word processing, surfing the net, e-mailing whoever, not just for turning an image from a Camera 90 degrees.

I agree with you that software like ScanWise will rotate an image but NVRotate rotates the entire desktop! I can't think of a single reason why you would want to do it but when i use NVRotate to turn my desktop through 90 i have to turn my head 90 to see everything the right way up. Also my mouse changes so when i move the mouse UP the mouse actually moves left which is now up. My taskbar is sideways on the screen. Not just like when you move the taskbar to the left of right - all the writing is side ways too...

Stuartli 12:42 24 Nov 2005

I usually use Irfanview to view batches of files - it merely rotates the image - as does Picassa2 with one click of the mouse.

PaulB2005 12:48 24 Nov 2005

Yes we know.

Read this click here for a demo of why NVRotate is nothing to do with showing portrait photos the right way up.

Please try to understand this as i suspect daemo wants NVRotate to do more than just turn some photos through 90 degrees.

From the web page

Some uses of NVRotate include:

Word processing: View entire documents on the screen at once, no more scrolling to see a full page.
Email: View your whole inbox and scan your email faster
Legal documents: Create, edit and view non-standard size legal documents
Desktop publishing: View full-page layouts for print without having to resize and waste space
Web surfing: View an entire Web page without having to scroll down the page
Mobile PCs: Easily flip your screen down and rotate the display 180 degrees to display information across a table during a presentation
Medical imaging: View intricate details in fully sized X-rays and other medical imagery
Public kiosks: Create portrait readouts for airport flight schedules, electronic billboards or public systems

PaulB2005 12:51 24 Nov 2005

I can't specifically recommened any motherbaords. I suspect what you need to look for is an nForce board.

These have nVidia chipsets and it's the nVidia Forceware drivers that control NVRotate.

DieSse 14:29 24 Nov 2005

PaulB2005 is quite correct I beleive. I've used NVrotate on a rotatable monitor (an AOC TFT one) - it's strange at first, but it means a sheet of paper when doing WP does nicely fit on the screen, as do many web sites.

It's odd, isn't it, that paper is usually used *portrait* mode, and screens are usually *landscape*.

Stuartli 16:06 24 Nov 2005

Computer monitors originally followed the standard TV screen 4:3 ratio.

PaulB2005

>>Yes we know.>>

Are you speaking for yourself or every forum member?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?