BMW Professional SatNav

rawprawn 14:56 09 Mar 2011

This is fitted to the car I bought new last year, but only takes 5 digit postcodes. After reading an article in the Daily Telegraph which said I should demand an upgrade. I rang the garage and the girl booked the car in, but when I arrived I was told it would cost £354 to upgrade.
I am currently trying to get them to change their mind.
Has anyone else had this problem?
RP

Forum Editor 15:00 09 Mar 2011

from Speakers Corner.

Kevscar1 16:44 09 Mar 2011

Won't it work if you just put the first 5 digits in. Surely that would get you close enough to where you want to go. If so don't bother with upgrade

rawprawn 17:03 09 Mar 2011

No not really, it simply gives the local area. If you were looking for a Hotel for example, I would then have to look thru local hotels to find it.
At around £2000 cost, I think ir should be fully functional.

BT 17:05 09 Mar 2011

even my 4 year old Navman takes full postcodes and that only cost me £100

oresome 17:22 09 Mar 2011

It all hinges on what was claimed or specified at the point of sale.

But I expect this level of detail was probably not discussed in the whole scheme of purchasing a new car.

Sales literature usually has disclaimers regarding exact specification of the actual car purchased which must be established with the dealer at the point of sale.

Of course they wouldn't be getting repeat business from me with this shoddy treatment.

rawprawn 17:33 09 Mar 2011

"Of course they wouldn't be getting repeat business from me with this shoddy treatment."
Nor I. However I will wait and see what the outcome is.
I emailed Honest John at the Telegraph outlining the problem,here is his reply

"You can demand that the dealer who sold you the car either pays for the upgrade or refunds the £2,000 you paid for the system on the grounds that a £200 Tom Tom or Garmin has the feature and the BMW system fitted was therefore of "unsatisfactory quality" for the amount paid."

I have written to them on that basis, and await a reply.

interzone55 19:46 09 Mar 2011

£2,000 for something that comes free with every Nokia is a joke...

rawprawn 09:27 10 Mar 2011

I will tick resolved, as I don't think anyone else has a similar problem.

Colin 12:25 10 Mar 2011

rawprawn, I’m sure that you are not the only one on this forum with this problem. The Sat Nav systems fitted to VAG cars, Audi, VW etc is the same, i.e. only 5 characters. I think this is because the German post code system only consists of 5 characters. Factory fitted Sat Nav is an expensive option as you know and it doesn’t give you the same usefulness, i.e., full post codes, that a £100 Tom Tom does. Also, you can’t take it with you.

The Telegraph article says to demand a free upgrade or a refund. That’s all well and good but neither is likely as it is known prior to sale that the Sat Nav only has the ability to take 5 characters.

SimpleSimon1 13:40 10 Mar 2011

"The Telegraph article says to demand a free upgrade or a refund. That’s all well and good but neither is likely as it is known prior to sale that the Sat Nav only has the ability to take 5 characters."

If there was ever a court case, surely it would be down to BMW to prove that the buyer **hadn't** heard about this rather than the other way round?

For example, I didn't know about it until I read about it in the Honest John section. Mind you, my Honda has a factory-fitted unit (presumably, not German) which handles 6-digit post codes quite happily.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?