Bloody 'ell!

s99Raj 22:53 12 Dec 2006

I've just found an ad in a computer mag from July 1993.

"Create your own CD-ROM for just £3995 plus VAT!"

That was the cost of a CD Writer in those days.

The same mag advertised the following hard drives :

1 GB for £500
2 GB for £700
3 GB for £1400

Unbelievable!

Stuartli 23:55 12 Dec 2006

I have an Active catalogue for September 1995 - prices were almost as eye-watering then.

You can buy a complete system today for the price of a very modest stick of RAM in those days.

Totally-braindead 00:21 13 Dec 2006

For my first PC I bought 16mb RAM and got it at the bargain price of £120 as the month before it was over £200 and the price had reduced dramatically due to a glut in the market.

The PC a 486 running at the blistering speed of 25mhz cost about £1300. No CD ROM just a floppy drive. Can't remember what year it was but it was some time ago (obviously).

jakimo 00:44 13 Dec 2006

I paid £175 for 4mb ram from Time computers in 1992,this doubled my pc memory to 8mb,it did have CD rom though

HondaMan 11:03 13 Dec 2006

My first computer set-up was a BBC model "B", 32KB of ram. with the peripherals, that cost me about £1250! But I did run my business on it without any problems.

myfoot 11:21 13 Dec 2006

First "PC" was a "Macintosh" , contradicton in terms I know. No hard disk. 2 floppy drives and the Operating system had to be loaded from flopply each time you started. I think 4" B&W screen. It was fine fine for word processing

Kate B 11:40 13 Dec 2006

I laid out newspaper pages on a Mac like that in the late 1980s using Pagemaker. *misty eyed* InDesign on a 24" monitor is much nicer.

jack 12:05 13 Dec 2006

Ah the nostalgia of it all--Kate B wrote

"I laid out newspaper pages on a Mac like that in the late 1980s using Pagemaker. *misty eyed* InDesign on a 24" monitor is much nicer."
------------------o0o--------------------
I could never quite figure why the 'Mac' caught on as it did - when there the were equally highly specified machines around that had as good Hard/soft ware.
I worked on Atari TT - 12" pure white screen- Op system
on onboard Rom etc., much quicker too - had loads of memory all of 8 megabyte I think.
These machines in Germany then were well in the fore as opposed to Mac's and Hello Mag was run on them until only recent times
Yet here they were games machines sold by Boots and WH Smith-- strange old world.

Carronade 13:13 13 Dec 2006

Anyone remember the Commodore 64 - with its cassette loaded programmes and the dot-matrix printer that couldn't print the descenders of g, j,p, q and y "below the line"?

Happy days? Well, maybe!

Stuartli 13:20 13 Dec 2006

A Mac could do tasks that were beyond the majority of other systems well before that time.

My first "real" computer was an 48k Oric; the first one with Sinclair type keys packed up and it was replaced by the "proper" keyboard model.

I still have it but, unfortunately, the other half did her usual trick and threw out the cassettes thining they were of no value...:-(

Stuartli 13:20 13 Dec 2006

...thinking they were of no value...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?