Bit miffed with Novatech

Totally-braindead 20:46 09 Jan 2006

Novatech has always been my supplier of choice. They have never got an order wrong and the items were exactly as described. However last week I had to return a faulty motherboard, now I contacted Novatech by email about 2 weeks ago and at the same time I contacted the motherboard manufacturer MSI. MSI replied but Novatech didn't.

Anyway MSI told me to flash the BIOS as this would cure it. It didn't, it left the old fault and created a new one as well so I decided to return it.

I decided not to email Novatech as they didn't reply to the last email and thought I would phone them instead, after 20 minutes on hold they answered. I explained that MSI had recommended flashing the BIOS and that another fault had appeared and due to that I wished to return it and requested a returns number. Now one of the faults was the USB not initialising anything plugged in at boot up, but if you removed the item and plugged it back in it worked perfectly. He suggested a USB 2.0 hub, didn't mention whether they would pay for it or whether they would supply it for free I hasten to add. I pointed out to him that the motherboard had 6 USB ports and a standard card only had 4 and said I didn't like the idea of getting another item to patch up a faulty brand new motherboard. So they agreed to refund the money and I am waiting confirmation that they have the board and have refunded the money.

Now this is not a major tale of woe as things stand, indeed there have been some quite horrific tales of the way some companies treat their customers. But this small problem notwithstanding Novatech are still my prefered company. Providing the refund the money reasonably quickly of course. But regardless of who was paying for it, I'm dissapointed I suppose that they would suggest getting a USB card rather than rectifying the fault. And I had to pay nearly £7 in postage to return it.

Yes my title sums it up. I am a bit miffed with Novatech.

SG Atlantis® 21:23 09 Jan 2006

why are you miffed at them? because they didn't pay the postage?

Totally-braindead 22:49 09 Jan 2006

Partly that SG Atlantis® and also because they never replied to my email, its been over a fortnight now and still no answer, plus the suggestion I get a USB hub rather than fixing the motherboard.

Stuartli 00:36 10 Jan 2006

Please excuse my curiosity, but why did it cost nearly £7 to return a motherboard?

jack 08:50 10 Jan 2006

Though overall my experience with Novatech has been a good one -I did find that occasionally the repsonse promise has been somewhat lacking ,
I guess you could put it down to volume of traffic/time of year/ what take a particular service rep took on your input, the morning after perhaps of the night before.
It takes but one individual to be a bit off for the whole firm to get a blackmark.

Totally-braindead 12:18 10 Jan 2006

Stuartli I took it to the post office, Novatech recommended recorded, but the post office said it was slightly cheaper to send it registered. It cost £6.95 I think it was, recorded was £7.25. It was heavy I admit but I was a bit taken aback as I didn't expect it to be that dear. Think the Post Office diddled me?
Doesn't really matter now anyway, the things away.

Totally-braindead 16:31 11 Jan 2006

Got a replacement motherboard today so all is well. Sort of.

Stuartli 16:40 11 Jan 2006

I was thinking more of the weight involved.

I had a new mobo delivered about six months ago and it was £6.95 Special Delivery according to the Post Office label; it's a full size ATX board and the box also contained a CPU and fan.

The Kestrel 17:00 11 Jan 2006

I had a similar problem with Novatech a few months ago over a faulty Netgear wireless USB adapter. They asked me to return the item, and then I heard nothing for almost 2 weeks. On ringing up they said that they were waiting for Netgear to send them a returns number for the adapter, so they could send it on to Netgear for repair/replacement. I asked how long this might take and was told at least 2 more weeks.

I pointed out that my contract was with them as suppliers to me, not Netgear, and that they should replace the faulty item from their stock. They tried to tell me that they were only prepared to send the item to Netgear as a service to their customers. It took a demand from me to speak to the supervisor or most senior person available before they reluctantly agreed to replace the item "as a gesture of goodwill"!!!

Totally-braindead 17:11 11 Jan 2006

Stuartli you've kind of lost me there mate. Thats the same price as I was, yours had a processor and fan as well which wouldn't be that heavy hence wouldn't be more expensive. Can't see what you mean.
The Kestrel, was the item newish? If it was I have to agree thats pretty poor. I've always liked them and sang there praises. Would still use them, perhaps someone was having an off day. I've now sent them 3 emails over the past 3 weeks or so, they've never replied to any of them, very disappointing, just as well I resolved the issues myself.

Stuartli 17:15 11 Jan 2006

It was sent Special Delivery...:-)

As I pointed out I assumed it might/should be cheaper because a mobo would prove a comparatively light weight postage cost wise.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017