Beware of ebuyer

Tribal-Wolf 10:50 23 Oct 2010

I am appalled and ebuyer customer service. I purchased a new TV from them but when it was delived it turned out to be a used TV. On calling them they said they would pick it up and when they have it back and have checked I would then after another 3 - 5 working, recieve a replacement. I don't want a replacement as that would mean replacing a 'used' tv. I paid for a new TV and they did not deliver one so have in fact broken our contract. On asking if they could do a swap out I was told they would not do that as they would have to check the item before a replacement (that word again) is sent out. Now I know this is nothing to do with computers etc but I urge you all to beware of this shoddy customer service.

Colin 11:27 23 Oct 2010

Give them a chance. If it turns out the TV is used and it should have been new, they will replace it with a new one. Do you have a link on Ebuyer's website to the TV you ordered?

bremner 11:40 23 Oct 2010

You may have had a bad experience but like many here I have used Ebuyer for years and would whole hearted recommend them to anyone.

Tribal-Wolf 11:46 23 Oct 2010

I too have used them for years but that's not the point. I oredered a new TV and they TV that arrived is covered in scratches, looks like it's been wiped down with a dirty cloth and there are crumbs in the air vents. All I wanted was a the NEW TV I ordered to be sent out and swapped when they collect this one. I don't see why I should have to wait over a week for my new tv just because they made a major mistake.

spuds 12:17 23 Oct 2010

You could cancel the item under consumer law, then go elsewhere for a new purchase.

But Ebuyer would then have the advantage of not providing a refund before 30 days.

I have dealt with Ebuyer for many years, and on the whole their customer service, prices and products have been first rate. But I would also be questioning how a obvious second-hand and returns item had been sent out in the first place.

Swapping out can have its advantages, but it can also have its disadvantages, so its a case of balancing things for all concerned. Buying on-line is never going to be an instant task, like it would be going to a local store and walking out with the item there and then.

Colin 13:16 23 Oct 2010

"I don't see why I should have to wait over a week for my new tv just because they made a major mistake"

That's the problem with ordering online - great if nothing goes wrong, but a pain if it does.

Muergo 14:52 23 Oct 2010

I have bought big items from various places over the last 40 years and the service I have received in the last ten years from John Lewis and Amazon (Amazon themselves,not linked sellers) has been flawless.

In addition when you look at the bottom line of John Lewis, extra guarantee, free delivery, free or cheap take away, unquestioning replacement or exchange they both come out cheaper than other sites who put on extras on top of their headline price.

Other stores like Argos,Comet, Currys Group(DSG) all have specially made down in price models of big brands.
"Especially made for" or "Exclusive to " are all euphemisms for a model that has had features omitted or downgraded so that what looks to be the same is not identical to the manufacturers normal model, just corners cut, e.g. slower spin speed on washing machine.

I stick to ordering the exact model number shown on the manufacturers web site.

spuds 15:13 23 Oct 2010

"Especially made for" or "Exclusive to" doesn't necessarily mean that the item is a lower grade, because it is all to do with marketing.

I do not know how it stands nowadays, but some printer manufacturers supplied the likes of PC World and Currys with exactly the same models that you could purchase elsewhere, but had a slight change in model number reference for identification purposes. The same applied to re-badged items for other items that originated from the same production line, yet went out the door as someone else's. Take a typical name change, like Dell printers that are actually Lexmark.

While it is possibly true about John Lewis service, they can have higher prices for certain products, but they will usually price-match, if the potential customer provided written evidence.

Forum Editor 00:02 24 Oct 2010

simply because you have had a single bad experience is a bit much.

Like some others, I've dealt with the company for several years, and have found them to be one of the best online retailers. I can understand that you're annoyed, but give the company a chance - they need to verify that what you're telling them is true before they send you a new TV. That's not "shoddy customer service", it's common sense.

Have a little patience, I'm sure everything will be fine.

D@ve 00:27 24 Oct 2010

I'm not sure why you have a problem with the word 'replacement'. A replacement is just that - if the TV you have is confirmed to be used, it will be REPLACED with a new one. Give them a chance!

jakimo 02:50 24 Oct 2010

You could reject the TV outright and have a refund,then pay more for it on the high street,but replacing it for the new one you ordered within 3-5 days sounds reasonable to me.

As for 'Beware of Ebuyer' Ive never had to in many years of dealing with them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?