Better laptop than this for less than £250?

spot the braincell 14:35 06 Jan 2009

Following on from my previous posting 'looking for a laptop for my mum' I found this. As she only really wants wordprocessing capability it seems fine but are there any better new machines for the same price or less?

ASUS X58C LAPTOP - Intel Celeron Processor, 1GB RAM, 160GB Hard Drive, 15.4" Display, Vista Home Basic
from here click here+

curofone 14:54 06 Jan 2009

I hate to point this out but this machine is not as cheap as you think, staples prices are always quoted without vat so this machine is infact £291

curofone 15:12 06 Jan 2009

Just to follow up the machine that you found will do the job she wants just fine and you will probably find it hard to find a laptop from a reliable manufacture for under £300, unless you go for a netbook like this click here which is £236 at the moment with tosibas £30 cash back offer but if you doing a lot of word processing then a 93% keyboard and a 10" screen are probably not the best.

I have also read on a few other forums that this asus has been seen in a few morrisons stores for a cheaper price then this but that was a month or 2 back so not sure if they still sell them

Zaphod 3 15:15 06 Jan 2009

I know it's PCworld but you could look at

click here

realist 19:02 06 Jan 2009

How about this?
click here

spot the braincell 10:15 14 Jan 2009

Thanks to all contributors I eventually went for an Asus X58C from Staples which should hopefully suit my mum.

birdface 10:31 14 Jan 2009

The 1Gb of ram might cause a few problems at a later time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?