Better laptop than this for around 500ish?

silverous 13:00 01 Aug 2006

click here

OK so it is nearer 600 quid. A colleague has asked me to recommend one. She doesn't want a 'rubbish' laptop but only has 500 ish to spend.

I think Acer are best at that price point. The above might be a bit too much money for her (looks like a lot for the money though) so I was also maybe thinking:

click here

Plus a 3 year warranty with accidental damage (Acer very good value for these and I tend to think worth it for personal use - especially if going to be moving around)

All advice will be appreciated!

Jimmy14 13:51 01 Aug 2006

Recommend the first one due to that it's dual core and the new 5000 core duo range from Acer. If money is a really big issue and £607 is too much then I suggest she goes for the 2nd option. I have a acer laptop myself similair to the first model and had no problems with it since I bought it in December 05.

James

silverous 20:26 01 Aug 2006

Anyone?

Woolwell 20:57 01 Aug 2006

The real question is what does she want to use it for?
Then add a bit more on for when she discovers that she really would like to do a bit more.
It also depends on whether a warranty is included in the £500 ish.
Does she need 1Gb RAM as there are several Acer and Toshiba models that could suit at around the £500 mark.

Comet have your first one for under £600.

silverous 11:08 02 Aug 2006

I agree, the problem with that question is people are often very vague about it. Internet, Email - initially she said "from the train" although I explained that was going to be expensive unless her train company have wifi!

Office use. Then maybe watching DVDs, Digital Photography - but that was less of a requirement.

I tried comet for the first one but couldn't find it, will have a look. I don't think she'd thought about warranty but would come out of the same budget. Acer warranties are reasonable.

I think the 1st one is 'safest' bet in terms of being able to do what she wants in the future.

silverous 11:08 02 Aug 2006

Also, comet warranty seems to be more expensive than acer one elsewhere.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?