best way to send dvd player through the post?

theDarkness 19:19 12 Apr 2009

first time sending anything large (its a whopper philips play anything dvd player), wasnt sure on the easiest or cheapest way to do so? Its flat but quite large with a little weight, so too awkward to carry to royal mail, and ive heard it may be better to send as a parcel than regular first class anyway? any ideas what would be best to do-sending it long distance to the borders! thanks :)

curofone 20:32 12 Apr 2009

last time i sent anything big/heavy i used these click here cost £6.89 + vat, take up to 25kg in weight and up to 5 cubic feet in size, plus you get a dhl courier rather than royal mail and you get online tracking.

all you basically have to do is fill in a form online, pay and print off the dhl label it produces at the end, stick it on the box your sending and wait for the dhl courier to pick it up from you

curofone 20:35 12 Apr 2009

oh and just if you were thinking of sending it via royal mails parcel service here is their prices click here

Stuartli 00:38 13 Apr 2009

It could be that Royal Mail's ParcelForce would be a better bet than standard parcels service:

click here

theDarkness 14:32 13 Apr 2009

thinking of avoiding parcel force! - click here

Lol. Perhaps dhl would be a better bet. Its not a heavy item, around 2.5 kg, box is around 400 x 550 mm, 85 mm height. it seems dhl might be the cheaper option, the parcel force reviews above dont give me much confidence, lol!

Stuartli 15:20 13 Apr 2009

I've used ParcelForce for years and found the service to be excellent.

On occasions, when I've requested a parcel collection on-line, the driver has called early on the off chance the parcel is ready if he's in the area; saves him and me wasted time.

theDarkness 16:48 13 Apr 2009

I did get the impression everyone on the above site could be blaming parcelforce when the problem or delay could easily be down to the company they buy the item from, almost too many complaints for a company to be allowed to continue trading, haha. I will check out the parcel force site, hopefully it can give an estimate on price if i can enter the size and weight, etc. thanks!

theDarkness 17:15 13 Apr 2009

It seems every website i go to for reviews of any parcel company, over 90 percent of reviews are telling you to avoid them like the plague, it seems parcel2go has just as many bad reviews as the majority. People only ever seem to want to review such a service when things go badly wrong..
click here

curofone 18:33 13 Apr 2009

you have to remember that generally people only write reviews when something goes bad becuase they think they have something to gain from it, very few people can be bothered to write reviews when all goes well.

I have only used parcels2go once and have to say the booking was easy, they picked up when they said they would and it was delivered the next day and it was a lot cheaper than going directly to one of the courier companies.

theDarkness 21:27 13 May 2009

I eventually went straight to dhl! parcel 2 go looked like a good deal, but after filling in the forms it claimed they couldnt pick the parcel up from my area. Oddly enough, this was when i had chosen dhl through parcel 2 go. There is a dhl not far from the house, so perhaps parcel 2 go were unaware there was one up here in the town when i had chosen dhl through them. Going straight to dhl, it cost me just under £14, whereas if parcel 2 go had worked and i had chosen dhl through them, it would have been around £9 to 10.

tullie 10:58 14 May 2009

Very odd that they dident operate in your area,what area are you in?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017