Best video editing software

JMTaylor 14:18 19 Apr 2006

Does anyone have an opinion as to what is the best? I'm new to a VCR but i'd like to buy the best software under £100. I'm tempted by the Adode Premier elements 2 bundled with their photoelements 4 which I can get down to £80.
Many thanks,
John Taylor

Totally-braindead 14:40 19 Apr 2006

I'm not an expert on this sort of thing at all but I think the others will need a bit more info about what you want the software to do. I can't advise as I said its not my thing but I can see the others will need more info. Firstly is it XP you have, how fast is your computer, how much memory and how much hard space do you have? Also what do you want to do? You mention VHS. Do you wish to copy VHS to DVD or what do you actually wish to do?

If you just wish to copy from VHS to DVD without any editing and mucking about its faster and much easier just to get a DVD recorder and copy via the SCART from the video to the DVD as VHS is analogue and before you do anything to it on your computer you need to convert it to digital, or so I have been told.

JMTaylor 15:44 21 Apr 2006

I have a new JVC digital video camera that and I wish to take "home movies" on that. The output is passed to my 80Gig pc hardrive running windows XP professional.
These clips will need editing and perhaps adding an introduction, soundtrack, commentary, fading in/out, inserting music or stills etc.
After cutting out the rubbish and dubbing as necessary I would then like to burn to a DVD for viewing on mine, or an other, television.
I don't particulary want a beginners package as I'm sure I will want more once I've started but my limit is £100.
Is this better info?

fitshase 16:12 21 Apr 2006

Before paying out for a video editing package - why not try the built in Windows Movie Maker (in Windows XP - start\programs\accessories).

If, after trying it, you could try out a few before purchasing. Adobe will let you download a trial version of their software (this link is for Premiere Elements):-

click here

Regards

Fitshase

pj123 16:21 21 Apr 2006

Something like Pinnacle Studio 9 would be ideal. It is a long learning curve but once mastered is very good. click here

I use Pinnacle Studio 8.12 and also have Sonic MyDVD but MyDVD does not have as many facilities as pinnacle.

Strange but this site shows Sonic MyDVD as no longer available for sale. That must say something. click here

Although the Sonic site still shows a couple that are still available. The version I have is 5.3 but sonic is now showing version 8 which can be downloaded.

Personally, although I don't like Pinnacle all that much it is better than MyDVD.

I have a friend using Pinnacle Studio 8.12 and although it is very slow he says it does exactly what he wants it to do and is quite happy to stick with it.

pj123 16:24 21 Apr 2006

fitshase, as far as I know Windows Moviemaker doesn't support DVD only CD.

pj123 16:27 21 Apr 2006

Sorry the Sonic site is click here

€dstowe 16:43 21 Apr 2006

Windvd Creator is worth a look. It's easy to use, fast and not very expensive. I'd certainly suggest that rather than Pinnacle which is slow, cumbersome, slow, prone to dropouts, slow, prone to going out od sync, slow - you get the idea.

Have a look click here

There is a fully functional free trial.

Modo 18:53 21 Apr 2006

Adobe & Pinnacle are the two most professional packages mentioned. Adobe is notoriously difficult to master it really needs training. Pinnacle had a reputation for being quirky on some machines but that complaint has been heard less on the recent versions.

Intervideo WinDVD Creator is reasonably straightforward. It often comes with Tosh Laptops. We use it on occassions if I remember it will output to Quicktime which others won't.

I haven't used the Sonic version for ages. it gets good right ups. the last version I used was aweful and scared me off.

Cyberlinks Power Director is one we use. We are TV producers and find it fine for light duty editing, effects and creating streaming content. The version we have will produce DVD's, Mpegs, .Avi's, Winows Media and Real Player files.

The editing software in Nero is quite good and for burning we usually swith from Power Director or WinDVD to Nero.

Windows Movie Maker is rather limiting but worth experimenting with.

As for paying money. Most will offer you a trial. also look out for upgrade offers. It may be worth picking up an old copy free or cheap and paying for an upgrade.

But before you spend any money I'd look at getting a bigger/additional hard drive. Indeed if you only habe 80Gb you are likely to be at the lower tolerance limit on both processor speed and RAM for video editing. This is a hugely resource intensive on processing powwer and memory.

In summary, assuming your computer is really up to what you want it to do. For genuine professional work Adobe. Try the download and expect to be frightened away. Adobe ahead of Pinnacle for professional work because it is now part of the Adobe Suite and is interfaced with PhotoShop and the other Adobe software (I use interfaced with some trepidation, most users feel it has some way to go yet.)

For general use we have used all of them and usually use Cyberlinks products.

If you have it Nero is probably adequate.

Look out for test opportunities and when buying look for upgrade and discount offers.

JMTaylor 10:56 22 Apr 2006

Wow,these are super responses. You've all given me a lot to think about and I thank you all very much.
I'm torn between two products now but it will be fun choosing. Once more thanks very much for replying
John Taylor

€dstowe 08:03 23 Apr 2006

Can you let us know which you choose and how you get on with it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone