Best shop for buying PC's without monitors etc.

MElliott1963 13:09 14 Jan 2003
  MElliott1963 13:09 14 Jan 2003

I'm considering upgrading my PC and am prepared to build my own if necessary having done it before. However, as I'm looking to upgrade my Motherboard, Processor, Memory, Graphics card and possibly the System Case with a bigger power unit, I was wondering whether it might actually be cheaper to buy a new PC. Because I've a good 19inch monitor, DVD drive, CDRW drive and 90Gb worth of hard disks, I don't really need these.
Does anyone know of a reputable company who can supply PC's to a particular specification (P4 2.5Ghz, 512Mb RAM, GeForce 4 TI4600) without the bits I don't need, or am I just wasting my time and should just build it myself instead?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Lú-tzé 14:09 14 Jan 2003

Build it yourself I think - at the very least it will have the components you want in it.

There are a number of threads on these pages re. self building (if you can find them given the search situation at the present).

click here for a goodish guide.

Find a good local independent store and get it custom built. It may cost more but you will get what you want.

fsssh 15:39 14 Jan 2003

try click here

you can build your own spec on an interactive blueprint but you will need to add a cd drive and a hard drive to get a quote. however they were very accomodating when i ordered my pc and i'm sure if you email tham with your requirements they will sort you out.

MElliott1963 16:35 14 Jan 2003

Thanks for your help so far. I've been to click here and spec'd up what I want, and it comes to about £650 pounds which seems to be cheaper than buying a new PC. It's a shame that just to upgrade my processor, I'm going to have to buy a new motherboard, new memory and a new case!

Diemmess 16:54 14 Jan 2003

Try Novatech website
They will sell boxes only ex stock and a wide range of specs.

If you really want to specify each bit you can use their Blueprint service which allows you to choose compatible parts for them to assemble.

If you are going all the way DIY there is a huge list of suppliers including Scan - (not all that cheap but very good and they do have bargains listed each day).

DangerM 17:11 14 Jan 2003

I built my own PC. I researched long and got all the components I wanted, made sure they were compatible and looked at exactly how upgradeable they would be. There is a wealth of info out there right down to what colour dye is best for your CD writer.

I now know that I have the very best components in my computer (for the money). I can name them all and know how they fit together. Never mind the satisfaction at knowing I can build a computer more or less from scratch. (I did reuse some of my old components like my graphics card until I could afford a TI4600.)

Anyway I shopped around a good place to look at is click here for price comparisons on pc components. But I ended up buying most of my stuff from click here. I can’t find anything bad to say about them and plenty good.

I also noticed lately that Maplins has a lot of components in their store now, if you are the type of guy that needs to look and touch stuff before you buy it.

TOPCAT® 17:33 14 Jan 2003

Based in Leeds. You will see they do 'barebone' systems. TC.

click here

'kinell 23:17 14 Jan 2003
  MElliott1963 13:14 15 Jan 2003

Thanks for all your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?