best security software tht won't slow things down

Bad Beagle 16:41 03 Nov 2006

Dear All,
I generally connect to the net via dial -up but can sometimes use a wifi connection. I would like a good security system that won't slow my pc down too much or need hours on-line to update virus patterns.
The PC(Dell) came with 90 trial of Mcafee should I just stick with that ?

As ever all advice appreciated.

Steve

spuds 17:18 03 Nov 2006

Why pay, when you can use all free to download and use, with regular updates, well recommended programs.

ZoneAlarm click here
Avast click here or AVG click here

There are plenty of good free to use adware removers around, like Microsoft Defender, SUPERAntiSpyware etc. If you want those, just ask.

Sloper69 13:36 04 Nov 2006

What Spuds says is good advice.
AVG used to be recommended on the Microsoft site - don't know if it still is - and zonealarm is pretty good, although I often found it a pain to train it to permit certain programs accessing the internet, but then I did use an old version and this might be more automated by now.
I have used McCafee, which I found frequently crashed my system, or Norton (Symantec) which I have found to be the best, in my opinion. There is another called Sophos, which also seems ok.
Many mags offer free trials on CD and I would suggest trying these out so you get one that suits the way you work and your system.

Totally-braindead 14:33 04 Nov 2006

As you say you have ended your free trial then your computer must be new. As such you can really use anything you like. Norton does slow things down but on a new PC I think its highly unlikely you would notice it, its just I've had problems with it and wouldn't use it again because of that. If it was a very old PC then you would notice the slowdown.
Regarding what to use I use AVG free and Zone Alarm Firewall and have no problems and haven't had a problem in 3 years of use. If you want to pay for one then thats entirely up to you.
If you are happy with your McAfee and are used to it by all means carry one. Personally if I was buying an anti virus program then I would consider NOD32 or Kaspersky as they are meant to be the best ones.
But thats only my opinion of course.

dms05 16:14 04 Nov 2006

Comodo offer a wide range of free security programs (firewall, anti-virus) click here

I use their firewall and anti-virus software and have a problem free computer. They do other things as well.

Belatucadrus 16:49 04 Nov 2006

Both alwil who produce avast! and Grisoft who do AVG are official Microsoft Antivirus Partners click here with ICSA rated products that get good pass rates at VirusBulletin. They do the job and don't make ridiculous demands on system resources.
avast! has a particularly good automated update system that chunters away unnoticed in the background until it informs you it's done its thing and has updated successfully.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?