Best place for components

i've no idea 07:42 10 Jul 2006

I'm building my first PC.

Can anyone recommened the best place for components online? So far I've looked at Dabs, ebuyer, Gladiator and Aria.

Any more I should be looking at?

All suggestions appreciated.

GANDALF <|:-)> 07:54 10 Jul 2006

You have a good selection. Personally I would buy everything from one place rather than save a pound here and there, better to deal with one company in case of mix-ups etc.......but each to their own.

G

i've no idea 08:24 10 Jul 2006

Thanks GANDALF <|:-)>

I'm looking at using 2 (Dabs and Gladiator)but only because dabs doesn't stock the motherboard I want!

The Kestrel 09:26 10 Jul 2006

Have you looked at Novatech. They have a very good reputation (do a search on this forum) and are very quick with their deliveries.

i've no idea 09:44 10 Jul 2006

Thanks Kestrel. Will have a look.

dontmeshwithme 10:12 10 Jul 2006

I agree with Gandalf, try to stick with one supplier, I can also recommend both Misco and Savastore. Good luck with the build.

i've no idea 10:18 10 Jul 2006

dontmeshwithme

Thanks. I'll have a look!

Hope you guys are going to be around when I start the build. I will need some help!

Totally-braindead 10:19 10 Jul 2006

Novatech is my favourite and have to agree that if you use more than 2 suppliers the postage fees can wipe out any money saved. I try to buy from one company if I can if not then I use a maximum of 2 to save on postage costs.

Totally-braindead 10:20 10 Jul 2006

Oh and do a seperate order for your memory and buy from Crucial. Their prices include P&P.

spuds 10:33 10 Jul 2006

All the companies that you have quoted have good recommendations. But as stated, try to stick to one supplier if you can, and perhaps buy in 'bundled' form.Postage costs would also be cheaper, if you purchased in bulk from one outlet.

Remember also, that self build is a good experience, but select the components wisely, due to possible confliction problems. Your mistakes are not covered by consumer law after the first 7 days, if (unused) items have to be returned.

You could consider a start by looking at barebones click here

i've no idea 10:41 10 Jul 2006

have quite a bit of experience upgrading but this is the first build from scratch i am doing.

Components i am considering are -

ASUS M2N-E AMD M2 m/b
ASUS GeForce 7600GT Silent 256Mb PCI Express Graphics
Crucial 2x512Nb 240pin Dimm PC2-5300 Memory
Antec Overture II Quiet media case
AMD Athlon 64x2 3800 Socket AM2 Processor
300 gig Sata driveHappauge Win-Tv-HVR 1300 MCE TV card
Windows MCE o/s.
Sony DRU810a DVD rewriter.

What do you think. Any incompatabiklities?

Want it as quite as I can as it will be a living room PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone