BEST PC SPEAKERS

mufcrbest87 19:23 11 Nov 2008

I have got up to £50 to spend on some 2.1 speakers for my dads christmas present and i am looking for the best ones around, they need to be attractive and cool to look at, also they need to have a headphone socket

MAT ALAN 19:33 11 Nov 2008

click here

inspire 3200 i-trigue 3200 or creative 3100 which i have an older version of..

superb sound quality....

Stuartli 21:02 11 Nov 2008

Altec Lansing, a highly respected American hi-fi speaker company, also produces models for computer systems. See:

click here

An example:

click here

iqs 17:14 12 Nov 2008

I have these 2.1 speakers,bought from PC World,in store £39.99,on-line £24.99,ask for the on-line price in store,cheeky me ....

Personally I can not fault the sound or the build quality.
My sound is produce by a creative sound card,might make a difference when compared to on-board sound.

GaT7 17:28 12 Nov 2008

If you go for Creative's offerings don't buy from them directly as you'll probably get them cheaper elsewhere - check Amazon, Play, eBuyer & PCWorld.

I've heard the Altec Lansing TVS4121 (Stu's link) are very good. In black, & £48 (£3-4 lower) delivered from click here.

Also consider a Logitech Z-4 set for £45 click here or click here. G

GaT7 17:32 12 Nov 2008

Nice find iqs - they're £26.59 online now but free delivery. G

mufcrbest87 17:48 12 Nov 2008

click here

I have found these but im not sure one to buy any ideas?

Stuartli 18:11 12 Nov 2008

On-board sound chipsets from Realtek or C-Media are, in fact, very good these days.

I currently have a Realtek chipset but, prior to that, a C-Media 8738.

The C-Media was temporarily disabled when I was given a Creative SoundBlaster Live! sound card but I realised, after a little while, that it couldn't match the openness and transparency of sound of the on-board equivalent.

So the SoundBlaster Live! sound card went to a good home and freed up a useful PCI slot.

GaT7 18:49 12 Nov 2008

Personally I'd go for the Altec Lansing TVS4121 model, the Logitech Z-4 or Philips SPA7300 - in that order.

Btw, the Philips set is ~£15 cheaper delivered from click here (never heard of them, but they seem to be legit - see below*).

If you'd like to save a bit of money (from your £50 original budget), the Creative T3100 & Sony SRS-D21 sets for under £30 would do nicely. G

*Comwales info:
Their T&C: click here
Companies House info: click here
Whois domain lookup: click here
Their eBay store: click here

P.S. iqs, some of the newer motherboards (even the cheap ones for ~£40) are coming out with 7.1 HD integrated sound. I think one will only be able to tell the difference between these & a dedicated soundcard of Creative X-Fi quality & above.

iqs 19:04 12 Nov 2008

My Foxconn MB had Realtek on-board sound,couldn't fault the sound to be honest,but with the creative sound card(5.1) fitted,I instantly heard a vast improvement.

But give it a new months and my set up will be considered legacy ...

GaT7 01:13 15 Nov 2008

Two more sets into the mix....both are £30 delivered:

Hercules XPS 2.1 40 Speakers click here

Hercules XPS 2.1 Lounge Speakers click here

Website specs click here & click here (latter with reviews lower down). G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?