Best motherboard for Athlon 64 CPU?

Adam Patrick 12:52 06 Jan 2006

Hi
On the verge of buying new Athlon 64 4000 CPU, but am not clear which motherboard to buy - there seems to be so many out there.
Also does anyone know if a Dual-Core CPU would be beneficial for gaming (got my eye on Athlon 64 4200 dual-core CPU). I've heard that these dual-core CPU's will only be beneficial with programs/games that are compatible with dual-core processors.
Any advice will be appreciated.

Grima_Wormtongue 13:19 06 Jan 2006

Hi Adam

I have a dual-core 4800+ and at the moment they are not ideal 'games enthusiast' chips. That said I hear the next-gen games are going to take advantage of dual core, and even games like F.E.A.R and Quake 4 are taking advantage of this extra processing power at the moment.

I personally love it because I can burn video images whilst playing games, without a performance hit, which you would not be able to do with single core. The only game I had a minor problem with was Ground Control 2 which when ran made everything go really quick. I later learned that you can get games to run in single-core mode and it was as good as gold, so I have had no games that were incompatible.

The motherboard I have is the Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, which is a good 'all-rounder', not particulary great at overclocking, but I was worried about getting an expesive doorstop if I overclocked wrong. Many review sites including this one rate it highly, but if you are a true games enthusiast, you cannot really look past the DFI LanParty range of motherboards, which you can overclock to your hearts content, especially with water-cooling.

Good luck with your purchase :)

PaulB2005 21:10 06 Jan 2006

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe definately - one one condition. Do NOT buy cheap RAM. This board and Crucial Ballistix RAM make an excellent combination. Never been a problem here.

Get the Premium version if you can as it has SLi switching in the BIOS and not via a hardware card. Also has a passive heatsink and not the (sometimes) very noisy fan for the Northbridge - i've already had to replace one.

Totally-braindead 21:33 06 Jan 2006

I've just ordered the Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe tonight funny enough, had a MSI board but the USB sometimes wouldn't work so sent it back and decided to try one of these. I don't think I'll be disappointed as it gets good reviews. Heard about the Northbridge fan being noisy as well and think I may replace it with a Zalman passive heatsink but we'll see what I think when I get it. Funny thing about these Northbridge fans, my old PC which I'm on now had 3 Northbridge fans fail in a bit over 2 years and it was very annoying, replaced it with a passive heatsink and all was well from then on. Worth considering PaulB2005.

PaulB2005 21:42 06 Jan 2006

True but i like my warranty for now.

Also the new fan (replaced by Overclockers from a board to be returned) is silent.

007al 22:54 06 Jan 2006

I use an Abit an8 SLI Fatal1ty,its a very solid board for me.It was a close one between the Abit or DFI SLI boards for me.I opted for the Abit as it was easier to get hold of at the time,and the DFI,in my opinion,was too expensive.Although they`ve come down in price since.Ive heard reports on gaming forums of the DFI board using a lot of power too,with people noticing more electricity consumption than normal.
For a new board with gaming in mind,it has to be SLI or Crossfire.
Abit,Asus,DFI and MSI would be the main contenders.(why did i say that! someone is bound to mention another make)

Ski-lo 02:27 07 Jan 2006

Is this upgrade worth it? using the heat pipe and stack cool 2 instead of a (noisy and unreliable??) fan?

ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe PCI-Express Mainboard - ATX
AMD Socket 939 Athlon 64 FX/Athlon 64 X2/Athlon 64/Sempron
True Dual X16 SLI
8 Phase Power Design
Fanless Design - Heat Pipe & Stack Cool 2
Optional FAN for Water-cooling
64-bit CPU support
External Serial ATA 3.0Gb/s port

Anyone know about it?

007al 02:48 07 Jan 2006

The biggest upgrade on that board is the fact that it uses full use of both x16 PCI-E lanes,instead of cuttin them in half to two lanes at x8,as the current boards use.Thats why the 32 is in the name.So,yes its worth it.The upgrade is not just the heatpipe and chipset cooler.The heatpipe was used in the last board,the Premium.

PaulB2005 08:53 07 Jan 2006

Only if you intend to use SLi and play games a lot.

007al 09:56 07 Jan 2006

"Only if you intend to use SLi and play games a lot."
Isnt that what these boards were developed for?
When i bought my Abit board,the `32` version of it was announced about a week later.If i had known,i would have waited,instead of having the `cut down` version.Using an SLi board allows you to see what your pc can do,and i would rather use both my graphics cards to their full potential

PaulB2005 13:00 07 Jan 2006

True bvut i don't use SLi (maybe in the future). I bought the board for it's stability, good reviews and the host of other bits that came with it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?